St. Croix open yet?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Diego

St. Croix open yet?

Post by Diego »

Anyone driven by lately? If it goes straight south today it will perfect for it!
Geo

Re: St. Croix open yet?

Post by Geo »

Fun to share the water with you guys for the opener! I noticed that although the water was completely open north of the bridge, the wind had blown the ice upriver almost to 94 on the south side by the time we left. Was reminded of the temptation this time of year to try to get out and try to sail the ultra flat water in between the bergs.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Yes it was great to get out on the water. Thanks to Mike Winter for scoping it out, Jim for his patience in the assisted launch while we waited for that one puff to get me out of the wind shadow and Geo for making sure I got in. We even got to see the sun come out briefly and the temps were warm. Looks like Friday may be nice and balmy again with more south winds and Wed with SW.

Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Fun opener! I love these early spring sessions even if conditions are not ideal. Something great about chasing around for open water. Here is shot of Kevin
Attachments
kevin.jpg
kevin.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
reutersju

Post by reutersju »

Where did you guys launch from? What was the wind direction? How were the water temps? My dry suit is broken and all I have is my 5/3.

Chad
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Chad, we launched right out of the boat launch in the harbor on the N side of the bridge. It is a tricky launch to be sure, but doable with some experience. Wind direction of 160-180 degrees (S/SE is best). It was 150 degrees yesterday, which makes it tough to get out. I think a drysuit is a necessity in waters this cold because you never know when you might be going for an extended swim. There was ice to the north and to the south, so the water could not have been too much above freezing. I was wearing a drysuit, hood, mitts, and 5 mil booties.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Nice to share the opener with you guys. After a rough start, finally got going and turned into a great opener. Thank you Jim for the launch, next time we'll wait for you to go first.