Kite Island

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

Kite Island

Post by BSMITH »

Has anyone drivin out to Spirit Island lately?
davepark

Re: Kite Island

Post by davepark »

I know Iceman drove out yesterday. I'm thinking about going out tomorrow and thought I would probably drive out.
davepark

Post by davepark »

Conditions on Tonka were just short of epic yesterday (at least for me). There were about 8 of us out there in the afternoon/evening kiting into the sunset while the wind was still blowing. There were some nice drifts built up along the ice ridge that made for some interesting terrain. Overall the surface was drifted snow with open spots of “crusty” ice that held an edge well. Some of the group stayed out on the ice for a night BBQ session. That did not sound like any fun at all so I went home.
Lloyd K

Post by Lloyd K »

Heading to the Island about 11:30am. I think last year on this date it was the official ice out for Minnetonka
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

See you out there soon. Looks like Sun all day now... I need to go before I work at 5:30 pm...
I think I am recovered from the weekend kiting now. 8)
Need to buy a lake shore property or want to play some tennis or mountain bike during the week call or email me @ 612-720-0773
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

I'm looking at the lake now should be another sweet evening out there. Eta at ice heave kite park 1600 hrs.
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Nice. At island now. I've crust 75% snow drifts rest of lake. 20-30 here now.
StrutWear

Post by StrutWear »

I got out on wednesday evening for a really good ride it off wayzata bay on the east side. I got about an hour and a half of good wind. with all the other riders out here, I didn't see one other person...? what gives? I could see kite island... no one around.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

after being there since 12:30 I packed up and headed out before sunset. I had to help Eric get unstuck in the snow before I left. There were a few riders that came out of Deephaven.
We were kiting on the main lake beyond kite island... So you would not see us from your location.
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

Good times on Sunday around noon. I stuck to the bay since I didn't want to drive my car out to the island. When the sun shines on the snow to soften it up the conditions are quite nice! There are some ruts and bumps but overall a good time. However, I am getting sick of my open cell foil. When that thing drops it just loves to tangle itself up. I think it will be time to sell that guy and get an LEI so I can play in the water as well.

I also chatted with a couple people in a nice yellow Jeep Cherokee with big mudders on it as I was leaving. I'm not sure who you were but hopefully the wind cooperated and you had a good time!
MK

Post by MK »

Really great conditions. I hope they stick around.

Shameless plug, really no shame at all - My White Bear Lake store just recieved more gear: replacement valves for all brands, pumps, spreader bars, pads, hook knifes, etc.

Loading trailer by Friday for journey to SPI. House filled in the front and middle of trip but room for a few more on the back side. Rented a house for the entire month so have room from 14th - 30th. ~$50/nt. Flight sale today on Suncountry to HRL.

Brian - you lucky dog. SS really took care of you on this replacement surfboard, it looks to be in this Friday. Start looking for open water:) UPS Tracking # 1ZA482R50368049611

Swap meet coming up at the house, I'm also putting one together to help y'all realize I have a store :lol: Although not as grand of a shopping experience as REI or Midwest Mountaineering it is here to best support us:)
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Thanks Mike! ...and slingshot.

I was out at the island yesterday. It was glorius. Best ride of the year.
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Anyone heading to the island today. Could be a chance for some high speed runs on 9 or 7 meter. Most of the water has drained from the big snow melt. the surface is down to just a very fast thin slush layer.
davepark

Post by davepark »

Did anyone get out Sunday? Curious about surface conditions and if it would be worth heading out later today.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Wednesday (yesterday) was sweet on Mtka. Launched from Browns Bay and ripped it up on an over powered 12 meter. should have been on the 10...Rally. It turned into a waterski fest by about 4 pm... Water needs to drain off the lake again or temps need to drop below freezing... Probably pretty wet out there today since it did not drop below freezing last night... I personally will not be driving on the lake any more... but skis and a kite over head will work if you keep moving... went over a few deep rivers on the ice yesterday... time to start carrying the hand ice picks again and water proof cell case..... :shock: