CLOBBER sounds good - lets KITE!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

CLOBBER sounds good - lets KITE!

Post by Eric S »

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/showsigwx.php?w ... ER+OUTLOOK

A MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL CLOBBER A GOOD SHARE OF MINNESOTA INTO
WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN...BEGINNING SATURDAY NIGHT. ANYONE
CONSIDERING TRAVEL BY CAR OR TRUCK SHOULD EITHER LEAVE EARLY OR WAIT
OUT THE STORM. NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY
SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS ARE LIKELY SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY
NIGHT. TOTALS GREATER THAN SIX INCHES ARE PROBABLE...AND THERE
MIGHT EVEN BE SOME AREAS THAT PICK UP A FOOT OF SNOW. SNOW COULD
STILL BE FALLING MONDAY MORNING...ESPECIALLY FROM THE TWIN CITIES TO
EAU CLAIRE AND LADYSMITH.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

oh yeah, now where are those Sorels?
Tighe
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

There are some hugh short grassy open fields between Monticello and Big Lake. All property belongs to someone, so permission to ride is a must. Most owners biggest concern is liability of someone being injured. A farmer friend of mine gave Eric & I a tip on a gimme permission to ride. (hand them a Big Ass Ham) :wink: A small cost between several riders = good relationship with land owners. :D

Love to Ride.

jerry
kyakmike

Post by kyakmike »

Jerry, those fields sound real good, just a very short drive for me (between silver creek and hasty).. Don't know exactly where they are tho.. The Biggest question is HOW do you find the landowner of a particular field that takes your fancy as you drive by. and then of course, actually getting permission is another matter.. In my kayaking days, we would find a good spot on a map, and just drive to the river and ask the nearest house for tresspass rights... about a 50/50 proposition.... sometimes even a shotgun or two came out!!! seems like country folks dont really Like strangers driving up the yard and asking for something... In my case, when folks want to get on the lake out front, I just tell them there is no public access on this lake, and most, if not all others on the lake are the same way, We Like it that way... No strangers scoping out your property for stuff to steal when you are gone... However..... When I'm out in public, maybe having a beer, or lunch and folks meet me and ask I'm MUCH more likely to grant permission... So as I'm not "from" here so to speak, I feel my only access to wide open fields is to "accidently" run into a person somewhere, start a conversation, and wait for an invitation... Hasn't worked so far.. ;-) My Mother in Law has some nice fields, but the renter plowed them all under after the beans.... Same with the Huge field right by our house... All plowed under furrows... I don't actually "know" anyone with a full time hay or alfalfa field that lets it sit for the winter....:-(
But if you Do manage to find all that information for a point of contact, phone number, address, ect please let me know so I can join in on the fun.

BTW: You folks did a great thing last winter/spring when you kite skied on the lake in front of my mother in laws place.... you know, off of hwy 8, access next to the graveyard... I don't even know the name of the lake... My at the time soom to me in-laws got to see what the hell I was talking about with the kites and things.... thanks!!
Mikey Luvs Ya!!
Matt Z

Post by Matt Z »

Hey ya'll --
My father has about 30-40 acres of rolling alfalfa fields in WI abouts an hour twenty from here and if the snow hits there too, I will be there. The place is super ideal, but I must say that 20 kiters would be too much (ten would be max). Will post more if the snow looks to hit in to WI too.
Psyched to snow kite***