Twin Tip fins on toe side

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Matt V

Twin Tip fins on toe side

Post by Matt V »

Knocked off a 45mm fin from the heelside of my Cabrinha Plasma light wind twin-tip board last weekend. Playing skimboard with a finned twin is not the best idea. (My good skimmie found satans anchor about 1" below the water surface as you can see in the pic below.) So while I have to wait to get replacements, I decided to take off the toe-side fins and put only fins on the heelside.

Holy-$&!* it makes the board ride smooth. Maybe there is a bit of upwind lost, but it felt completely worth it for the first few hours. Then it kind of got a bit boring. Maybe because I am just obsessed with my directional right now.

Any one else have any experience with taking fins off of the toeside of a light wind twin-tip? How about downsizing on the toe side - thinking I will try 35mm toe and 45mm heel.
Attachments
0826121022.jpg
0826121022.jpg (510.63 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
0826121019b.jpg
0826121019b.jpg (684.05 KiB) Viewed 1234 times