Duluth Aug. 9

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dean Rizer

Duluth Aug. 9

Post by Dean Rizer »

My first rides on the big lake. I don't know why I waited so long. I arrived early around 11:30. Kunkle and I went out on 10s. Rigged down to an 8 Rally around 1:30...perfect. The challenge for me was getting out thru the break. There was no spacing! The ride was amazing and the waves were at least 5'-6' again no spacing and I really had to pay attention. It was fun seeing everyone up there. I felt bad for Max, he's got 6 more months of re-hab on his knee. Took 120 pics. Mike and Kevin had some easy 20 footers. Check out the wave behind one of Mike's jumps, nice curl!
Optimized-Duluth 071.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 071.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Optimized-Duluth 083.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 083.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Optimized-Duluth 086.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 086.jpg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Optimized-Duluth 103.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 103.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Optimized-Duluth 111.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 111.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Barry P

Re: Duluth Aug. 9

Post by Barry P »

Great pictures Dean, especially since I'm in some of them :D. Seriously, these are sweet. Thanks!

The day was such a treat. It was amazingly warm. Air temps were mid 60s. The water was warmer than that. It really felt like it the water was close to 70. I kited in a 3-2.

It was easier than usual to get out going South because the wind was a little more to the north than usual and not straight on to the beach. It made carving on to a wave on my 'good' side a bit hard, so eventually I realized that this is a prefect day to work on my 'bad' side. That worked great.

The logs and stuff floating around (remnants of the Duluth flash flood) was a little spooky. I had one scary turn of events when I got on a wave and came in faster than the kite was able to drift. The lines when so slack that they dropped on to the water and I was not able to turn fast enough to avoid surfing into then. It all happened so fast. Anyhow I jumped off the board to the side as my feet were crossing on to them, but one leg landed inside the snaking lines. The kite was dropping, but could also power up when it hits the water and gets pushed by a wave - which is what happened, but I got my leg out as the lines started to tension. Whew! Soon the kite was up and life was good again. I've never had that happen.

After 2 1/2 hours my legs were jello. On the beach I watched a few guys playing on the little shore break. I never do that. I should. It looked fun and even relaxing.

On thing that was so enchanting yesterday as the sun dipped lower and when I'd be coming in on a wave toward it was to see the arcs of the broad troughs stretched out from the peak I'm on to the next and the one beyond all glistening and so powerful in the sun, roaring in - and I get to play with them!!! What a gift. It was so wonderful, peaceful, dangerous, and powerful all at the same time. Some times I would just drop my bar and and kite with my arms outstretched in praise as I glided in with these beasts... but also some times soon followed by the need to tuck my tail and run to avoid the next angry bull coming my way. I can't wait to do it again. :D
Randy

Post by Randy »

Great posts for a great day. We came over the hill and I freaked when I saw the size of the whitecaps. Judd said he couldn't see them and I thought he was nuts. Turned out he thought the whitecaps were houses. In the perfect conditions we had, they were like houses. So great to see so many show up for Mother's glory.
Attachments
MQ5X7611.jpg
MQ5X7611.jpg (476.68 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

We are riding the same 20-30 knot northerlies over here on Lake Michigan today and tomorrow! Great big air pics from Park Point!

Bill
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Thursday at Duluth was amazing, probably the most intense kiteboarding session I've had so far. An adrenaline rush like that really make you feel alive, a great way to decompress and escape the daily grind & stress that life sometimes imposes. Days like that feel like a gift from Mother Nature. Kiteboarding provides an avenue to truly enjoy some of life's basic fundamentals - water, energy, air/wind.

-Nice pics Dean! If you have a couple good pics of me, please send some my way. I was on the red 8M F-One kite. One of my most enjoyable summer days. Thanks!

Jesse
jrjohnson1@hotmail.com
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Jesse, sorry I missed you. Were you riding out of the Tot Lot? Got these of Brian, just after he jumped over a huge dead head in the water. He landed on his back, righted his board 2" from the beach, and away he went. nice!
Optimized-Duluth 111.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 111.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
Optimized-Duluth 112.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 112.jpg (104.82 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
Optimized-Duluth 114.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 114.jpg (67.16 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Jesse, sorry I did see your Kite at 22nd. I think you were riding on the outside when I was shooting. I didn't know the rider in these pics. Was he with you?
Optimized-Duluth 001.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 001.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Optimized-Duluth 004.jpg
Optimized-Duluth 004.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »