The gathering

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

The gathering

Post by Tighe »

So what are we thinking for this great summer get together. For over a a half dozen years this low key gathering of wind junkies, has been a great weekend play, laughs, and reconnecting.

How's the weekend of July 14 and 15 sound?
Tighe
JRN

Re: The gathering

Post by JRN »

Sounds good to me! Kiting, brats, brews, & a couple rounds of, "Koom By Ya!" Does it get any better? I better iron my shorty. :roll:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

For those not familiar with the gathering... a small group got together a while back and discussed a summer event. We decided that we wanted to avoid the structure of an event, the registration, the schedule etc, and just focus on what we all enjoy the most, riding and hanging out with friends. So this non-event gathering has no formal structure or costs. Usually about this time of year someone throws a weekend on the calendar, and surprisingly, for it being the middle of summer, the wind has shown up to the party(no guarantees). Malmo on Mille Lacs has been the spot, because the great big shaded lawn is ideal.

I think the last few years we've had no-wind fall back dates. Maybe we consider doing the same this year. Maybe just the following weekend?

Maybe it's worth asking how much interest there is in the gathering. Are you interested? Or if it's a windy weekend would you just prefer to go to your lake of choice?
Tighe
Randy

Post by Randy »

Sounds good to me.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
envy_dirtbag

Post by envy_dirtbag »

If this is a NEWB friendly event, I'm game, sounds like a good time.
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

We would be there.
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Of course! That weekend works for us!

envy_dirtbag wrote:If this is a NEWB friendly event, I'm game, sounds like a good time.
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
xrdave

Post by xrdave »

That weekend sounds good to me.
Dave
MK

Post by MK »

I'm in. I'll get some marketing channels dialed-in to help spread the word.
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Any ideas on camping for the gathering? We should try to have another bonfire/Tequilla/jam sesh. Bring yer instruments!
RobH

Post by RobH »

Excellent choice of weekends, looking forward to it. Still wishing the Carlsona was standing
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Yea big bummer on carlsona. It would be nice to to have everyone stay together. Maybe we could get Castaways to cut us a deal?
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

anybody have any ideas on how we could rent the Carlsona site? Probably owned by the bank now. It would be great to toss some $ there way, maybe get a portapotty and set up camp.

Any way to lobby the town of Malmo to camp in the park? Money talks. If we each chip in $20 it might cover some of the maintenance costs for the park. What about that land to the south of the park?
Tighe
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

We are looking forward to it-it's been a few years since we have made it to a Gathering. Sounds like fun.
It never hurts to make some inquiries on camping - we're in
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Bump
This is the weekend. 10 day mrf is looking good.

Should be fun
Tighe
scottman

Post by scottman »

Just a thought, but you could all use the gathering as a swap meet too, this way if someone wants to sell a kite whoever wants to buy it can fly it first, same with the windsurfing gear, try it before you buy it.
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Great idea as bringing gear to try/sell. Good for the newkillerbees to show and meet the community. Oh by the way are you guys showing, Scottman :?: Havn't seen you in quite a while. and........Tighe says there will be wind. :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
scottman

Post by scottman »

I was planning on swinging by Jerry and saying hello to a few people I have not seen for a while, would be good to say hello, might even get my stoke back to jump back in it? Hope to see a lot friends I have not had the chance to say hello to.
MK

Post by MK »

I secured some swag from a few of the kite vendors: Best, North, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrihna. Shirts, hats, hoodies, flags, stickers. I still have SS shirts from this winters communion. Hope this becomes a good venue to spread it out.
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Looking forward to it and I am off this Sat--whoo ha! Now we just need wind as I am itching to get out for the first time this year. ugh. I wonder if I even remember how to kite :roll: Lame excuses I have about trying to graduate and working 3 jobs....blah blah blah.

Bring on the wind!!! I miss the Carlsona. I think it was 4 years ago now that it was crazy windy the whole weekend and I got to fly my 8m both days, and then a great dinner plus a dark beer at night. Aaaaaaaah, the good life

rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation