Saturday's wind?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JimPat

Saturday's wind?

Post by JimPat »

Looks like the wind is south of the cities.
I can't handle the junk in can on(sinus wise).
What other lakes are kiteable down by
Mankato or other southern lakes?
Jimster
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Denis

Re: Saturday's wind?

Post by Denis »

Clear Lake, IA is looking good. There's a line of storms moving in, but it should move out by noon.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Jim, there is no "junk" or algae bloom in Cannon right now. I rode there yesterday and it's fine. In fact, with the rains last week the lake (actually a river) is about as clear and clean as it gets. A DNR official once told me that with increased flows due to rain the water in the lake will turn over daily for a week or so. It's in that mode right now.

Yes, during the summer the lake turns green, like too many in MN, from run-off from nitrogen and phosphorus based lawn fertilizers (not ag fertilizers which are injected in the early spring). I don't go in the lake in the warm months not because the algae bloom is necessarily harmful but because I'm a wuss and don't like the slimy feel of the green stuff. The bloom goes away in the fall with the first hard frost, and with fall rains the lake flushes and clears up again. In terms of water quality, the best windows for riding at Cannon are from ice-out to mid-June, and mid-September till it ices over.

I'm not sure where it started, but there is a common misconception that Cannon is somehow "polluted" year round. In fact, many metro-area lakes have higher concentrations of contaminants from urban run-off that they are never able to "flush." Cannon is part of a river system that flushes regularly in the spring and fall, and apart from suspended sediments that cloud the water can actually be cleaner than metro-area lakes from time to time.

Sadly, of course, all of our lakes and rivers need help.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Decided to stop at Waconia-looks good. About 10 Kiters and 6 windsurfers on the water.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939