Beta testers wanted

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Denis

Beta testers wanted

Post by Denis »

We are developing a system that would let folks report conditions from the beach. You could email, text or even call in. It will try to transcribe the and post it on a test web page.
ka.png
ka.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Anything you send will then appear on this page:
http://bit.ly/KsFWwi

With this weekend's winds, you can report location, wind conditions, riders present...etc. The project is just getting started, so we are trying to see if people would use it. Try it out and you can post any bugs or feature requests in this thread.
Last edited by Denis on Sat May 19, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Denis

Re: Beta testers wanted

Post by Denis »

I had to remove the text email and phone number from the original post to avoid spam in the feed. If you go to the site, we now have a form that will give you the same information after you register. You can opt to receive new updates as text messages on your phone when that feature becomes available. You will have the option to mute the updates until the next day, completely opt out, or re-subscribe to the updates using text messages.
(================P-</
Geo

Post by Geo »

Denis -

Great idea!

I was going to post today, and it ended up being something like bringing your own bags to the grocery store. You WANT to, but old habits die hard. The conditions were so up and down back and forth that it might have been hard to post accurate info. But, I suppose one could post just that, and it would be helpful.

Anyway - thanks for setting it up, and I'll see if I can retrain myself.

Maybe a sticky needed for this link?
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Very useful, thanks for setting that up!!
I now have the number on my cell!
f.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Looks like people are starting to use it to help them decide where to go. That's great!

I just added a new feature and your nickname will show up if you registered.
(================P-</
Reds

Post by Reds »

what do I do to set this up on an iphone for text?
Patrick
Tim Dunklee

Post by Tim Dunklee »

Hey Reds, you don't need to anything if you want to send in texts anonymously at this point. Simply send a text message to the number which Denis listed in the very first post of this thread. If you would like your name to show up on the Alerts you send in, you will need to go to the page below and register your name and phone number so we know where it is coming from.

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~foo/ka/
(If you are looking at this page on the iPhone you will have to scroll way down to the bottom to find the registration form)

Let either Denis or I know if you have any issues. Thanks everybody for using KiteAlert! It has been really helpful lately.