Des Moines Dam Jam Pre windsurfing/kiting

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Matt V

Des Moines Dam Jam Pre windsurfing/kiting

Post by Matt V »

It looks like wind will be blowing Thurs and Friday in Des Moines so I was thinking of trying to get a kite session in before the windsurfing races. I just do not know about a dead south wind on Saylorville for kiting. I do know the water is low and there is plenty of room to launch.

Any body headed to Des Moines for the windsurfing race early?

Is a dead south wind kiteable there?

I would love to get my directional in to some waves bigger than 2ft.
cjb

Re: Des Moines Dam Jam Pre windsurfing/kiting

Post by cjb »

Yes, a south wind is very kiteable on Saylorville at Oak Grove. Matt and I will be kiting tomorrow for sure although we are not windsurfers.
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

I don't really kite much, and have only sailed Saylorville for the DamJam events. I think that a south wind would work at one of the launches. There are plenty of spots to choose from, and I think even other lakes nearby if I remember right.

Looks like a great forecast (as always). I am planning on arriving Thursday night if my schedule allows so I can get in some sailing on Friday.

DamJam has a history of being a great even. Camping basically right on site, good food and entertainment, and lots of racing. And if you aren't racing, it is probably one of the best (possibly the best) site for spectating.

Adam
Adam Anderson
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

I may have to leave a lot of wind here in Omaha tomorrow (23base) for not too much wind at Saylorville (17base). The old windsurfing saying is to "never leave wind for wind" or something. But I am itching to get my directional in some swell and that just does not happen on Lake Manawa like it could happen on Saylorville. I am even thinking of leaving the twin tips at home for the whole weekend.

Plus, the chance to hang out with "low-boom" and the other 2 stooges for an added day in Des Moines is just too tempting since I have not seen anyone since Columbus day.

See you there,