Broken Kite String

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

markdbliss

Broken Kite String

Post by markdbliss »

What are the options for a broken kite string? After an hour of riding last night on Lake Calhoun, I made an amateur move when taking a break. I connected my ice screw to the chicken loop, and not the brake line (trailing edge lines). The kite quickly powered up, and wham, the left front line snapped. The break is pretty clean, and about 7ft from the control bar.

Do I need to buy a splice kit, like this? http://fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp?prod=microhook
Any local options?

I am flying an Ozone Frenzy, 10M.

Help!?

Mark
markdbliss <at> gmail <dot> com
JRN

Re: Broken Kite String

Post by JRN »

Your front lines may be under more strain than the rears when in flight. If you do plan to splice, try moving your present back lines to the front, so the repaired line will under less load when switched to the rear. You can try the local shops for replacements. I heard Scuba has gotten out of the biz, but Larry may still have some odd replacements in stock. Otherwise, contact Mike K, of Lakawa or Peter at Midwest, who has bulk Q-line in stock if you're up for tying loops to create your own. Good Luck!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Barry P

Re: Broken Kite String

Post by Barry P »

If you never jump, then go ahead and try the splice. I would never jump on lines that have been compromised (repaired). All knots weaken lines.