Course Boards and Races

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jkiter

Course Boards and Races

Post by jkiter »

We were at the 'Lord of the Wind' in Los Barriles and I got Erika Heineken to tell me why she and her world champion brother use those crazy looking extra large boards... 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMMMhFYQcQ[/youtube]
MK

Re: Course Boards and Races

Post by MK »

Funny how racing didn't interest me until now. I've been paying a little attention to the 2016 Olympic bids for kiting and when I heard they were doing racing only I was a little dissapointed: http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2011/05/k ... valuation/

After watching this I'm amazed at how riveted I was by all the details. Freestyle would be cool on an international platform like the Olympics but I'll be watching the races for now. Great post!
jkiter

Kite Races -- more exciting than submarine races

Post by jkiter »

Thanks for the Comment! -- I rarely post video of races and always try to highlight something interesting - in this case those crazy XXL boards and Erika's take on the race...

It's funny how media usually tries to highlight races. I'm not complaining. I understand why in this competitive world they promote it, but it kinda misses the point of kiting. Brian Schenck said in this video, it's not about who the best kiter is, it's about what we can do with kites.
Michael F

Re: Course Boards and Races

Post by Michael F »

Thanks for this post. I served on Paul Heineken's RC boat at the first Kite Worlds in San Francisco several years ago. Being his father, he quickly focused my attention to Johnny who did ended up second, only months after he started kiteboard racing. I have tried to follow his career and your video was very much appreciated. And the fact that he is a finalist for the Rolex Yachtsman of the Year is major kudos for kiting. Thanks again.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com