Swivel Bindings

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chuckrogwbl

Swivel Bindings

Post by chuckrogwbl »

Does anyone use swivel bindings? Ever demo them? They are very intriguing and I might look at buying a pair, but I'm just wondering if anyone in the area has had any experience on them........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V27oIrLI2bE[/youtube]
BestKiter

Re: Swivel Bindings

Post by BestKiter »

i wouldnt get em. i can see those breaking off the board in a second. and they look crazy irritating.
Reds

Post by Reds »

I think that looks cool. Being able to move the position of my knees and hips would be a huge benefit. As long as the seem well built why not
Patrick
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Yah... sounds terrible.

I've wanted this ever since I started kiting with a snowboard, to make it more like water kiting. I like that you can control the tension on how easy they will swivel.

The biggest drawback is the price and the condition of my wallet.

http://pbkiteboarding.com/Kiteboarding_ ... tails.html
drknap

Post by drknap »

Patrick I agree. The traditional locked in setup results in tremendous strain and fatigue in the knees and limits riding time. We must be getting old. :cry: I've been contemplating switching to skis for this reason. Also considering cutting the backs off the binding like Eric P endorses to help minimize fatigue. The wiggle adjustments that I suspect these bindings alllow for would be nice. Ouch on the price.
Kurt
JRN

Post by JRN »

I HAVE STUCK WITH SKIS...Mainly cuz I $*#K @ snowboards, but always think to myself, "If they're good for Alex Peterson..." With all the engineers & scientists in this crowd, we could reverse engineer standard bindings standard bindings for ALOT less. After looking at my old Burton step-ins, some judicious time with a grinder and some tensioning springs...Hmmmmmmmmm :roll:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

I think it would ruin your board for the ski slope. Since you have no kite to pull you through a turn, part of the turning technique is to use your weight and leading knee angle to twist the leading binding.