Traveling with gear

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

John Rangel

Traveling with gear

Post by John Rangel »

I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice on bringing kiteboarding gear to mexico (Cozumel)...
I'm not sure if I should ship it Fed Ex/UPS, or if I should chance bringing it on the plane with a deceiver bag?. I would hate to get caught and have to pay the full oversized/overweight baggage fee.
Does anyone have much experience with this who can give me advice,
Thanks
Alfredo

Re: Traveling with gear

Post by Alfredo »

Hi John, I have a few suggestions for you; Don't ship it through fedex or UPS unless you know the gear is gonna be 100% secure, safe, and arrive on time at your place. Also, the Mexican Gvm't can impose ridiculous import taxes on items shipped in this way. If you have a "golf" kite travel bag make sure you have a few golfclubs in the bag and I'm sure you will be safe. We travel from MN to Cozumel every spring break with a "golfbag" and I've had no problems... Also be prepared to pay luggage fees if you get caught - I haven't, but I guess it 'could' happen. Anyway, it's better having the gear with you. If you want tips on the best spots to kite, you can call me (612)354-9833.
Alex
envy_dirtbag

Post by envy_dirtbag »

John-
We have used the liquid force "golf bags" or dakine "golf bags" with out a problem. Best response to questions is always "water sports equipment". Bubble wrap your board and keep that on the bottom, can usually fit the board and 3 kites on top to help hide the board. Good Luck.
John Rangel

Post by John Rangel »

ah, just the tips I was looking for! thanks guys. Alfredo, I will be giving you a call here, soon, leaving Feb 17th!
Cheers!
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Wear a Polo shirt, khaki pants with a belt, dressy shoes and a visor that says PING on it. You will look like a legit golfer and no one will bother you about that "golf" bag.
jeffengel

Post by jeffengel »

Has anyone ever had a problem with Delta? I have traveled with my NSI golf bag a few times in the past and never have been questioned. When I see thes posts I get a little nervous, heading to HI next week and just expected I could check my gear again.
John Rangel

Post by John Rangel »

So, i'm wondering what happens if you get nailed... Do they just make you pay the normal oversized baggage fee, or impose a penalty and cavity search :shock: Which I think I could live with, but is there any kind of trouble you can get in for lying about what's in your bag...?

I'm flying Sun Country by the way, and a couple years ago, my 120 lb oversized NSI deceiver bag passed through the radar like a breeze on a suncountry flight. I was sweating bullets, and am still very suprised I didn't get nailed being it was so heavy and oversize.
RobH

Post by RobH »

120 pounds - holy smokes. Most airlines nowdays wont allow a bag over 100 pounds. I always travel with a kite as a carry-on, leaving the bar in checked baggage. ALso picked up a good scale so I can make sure my bag is right at 50, I have noticed that most airport scales wiegh a pound or two heavier. Not sure what Sun Country has for Mexico bag fees, for South Padre its 50 pounds per bag without fee. This fall flying out of Harlengen I noticed they have become wise to the deciever bags, they are now flexing the golf bag to see if they can detect a board inside. Luckily I left my board with Dave in South Padre so my bag flexed like a noodle as it was just kites. If they detect a board they will charge you as its a surfboard. Good luck and Enjoy!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Hola john! Make sure yuo have lees than 50 pounds on your golf bag. if any one ask whats in the bag you tell them ''pro golf equipment'' no more deatels. if you are over 50 pounds on your gof bag, you can allways remove a sprader bar to an other lugege.so tips are less than 50lbs, golf clubs, and look like a golfer.. :lol: so good luck..alex :wink:
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

I ship boards within the 48 only when I know I need the Door. In the last 10 flights
I've been charged once for oversize. I make sure I stay under 50# and haven't
had any issues. If they ask, and they almost never do, I tell them it's for water
sports. Bars go in checked bags and my biggest kite is a carry on. If you want
directions to some good spots on Cos give me a call. On a flight to the Dominican
Delta told me $175. for the "surf" equipment. When I protested that it was a huge hike over a prior flight they waived the fee completely. Luck?
Peter
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

just got back from Puerto Rico with Delta and big slingshot golf bag (150 board and 2 kites)
no problem whatsoever in mpls, going back the dude in San Juan ask me what's in there, I say well.. it's a golf bag
the guy opens it up, sees the kites (board was hidden in back pocket), and say.. ahh this is sky surfing equipment.. :D I say yes i am a sky surfer..
.. guy calls the supervisor,
supervisor comes to me and says that i should be paying but because I am such a frequent flyer with them for this time it'll wave the fee for me..

lucky this time but I'd say it could go both ways..

wind in pr was a bit on the light side still had fun sessions in warm water and crashed my kite on a see turtle (she escaped unhurt..),
so definitively worth the risk..

happy new year to all
f.
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

jeffengel wrote:Has anyone ever had a problem with Delta? I have traveled with my NSI golf bag a few times in the past and never have been questioned. When I see thes posts I get a little nervous, heading to HI next week and just expected I could check my gear again.
I have flown with Delta a few times and always go with the "water ski equipment" line. I haven't had any problems yet. I pack my kite in a vacuum bag and it compresses down quite well, even with out a vacuum, ie coming home. The most obvious thing in the bag is then the "wake board."
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

I have the NSI Golf bag and have used it for a few years without issue. But on my return trip from Harlingen last Fall via SunCountry it was questioned for the first time. The agent said that she "has been working there for a long time and I am not fooling anyone". Thankfully, she didn't charge me extra. I always pay in advance for my luggage as it is cheaper and I think less likely they will go through the hassle of charging me extra fees. I'll have to see what happens next Spring.

sPk
JBailey

Post by JBailey »

I've taken my slingshot pro golf bag a few times out to the Outer Banks via Delta, and have never been charged above and beyond the golf bag rate. Usually they just raise an eyebrow and say "golf clubs?" "yep."

The thing is, then you have to hand it off to the "oversized" luggage fellas by the carousel...the big bruisers with the weightlifting belts on. Sometimes they want to have a peek, but by that point you've already paid the cheap rate, and I'm not sure how much they care anyway. In NC, I saw them unzipping it to look inside, so I quick bee-lined it up the escalator and slipped away into the crowd :mrgreen: .

Jon