2012 Sturgeon Stampede, Winter Kiteboarding Event

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

WAK Jason

2012 Sturgeon Stampede, Winter Kiteboarding Event

Post by WAK Jason »

The 2012 Sturgeon Stampede will be held just outside of Fond du Lac, WI on Feb. 10-12. Friday (10th) is final set-up, ramp testing, freeride, and pre-party! Saturday (11th) is the big event day if the wind cooperates. Sunday is the back up wind day and other events will also be scheduled this day. I will post more info once we have the details worked out! Be sure to check http://www.wakkiteboarding.com in the near future for more info also.

Here is a post to the Kiteriders forum. Karl recently posted a great video on some of the winter kiting action from the Madison crew last winter. It has some great footage from the 2011 Stampede in it. It definitely got me pumped up for the upcoming winter season! Thanks again and nice work on the video Karl!!

http://www.kiteridersllc.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=2108
MK

Re: 2012 Sturgeon Stampede, Winter Kiteboarding Event

Post by MK »

Looks like fun! I'll work to truckload of us:)
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Just wanted to share a poster for the event. There is ice on the lake, but we are still waiting on snow around here though! Entry form will be up soon!

http://wakkiteboarding.com/Events/Webpage%20Events.html
WAK Jason

Entry form!!

Post by WAK Jason »

I hope you are feeling "the need to stampede"!! Here's the link to the 2012 Sturgeon Stampede entry form! Can't wait to ride with everyone!!

http://wakkiteboarding.com/Stampede%20K ... 202012.jpg

To register, please mail fee and entry form to:

Don Altmeyer
N8692 Sylvan Bay Road
Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Any questions, e-mail info@wakkiteboarding.com or call Jason @ (920)948-7234 or Dan @ (920)960-9676!
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Here is the launches map from our website. If you drive a 1/4 mile out on the ice road from the Fisherman's Road boat landing, that is where we will be. As you approach Fisherman's Road from Hwy. 151, you will definitely be able to see where you need to go. If you need any more help, let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200 ... 7c18&msa=0
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Here is a quick update on the Stampede conditions and status. We are committed to this date and will be out on the ice making the best of whatever conditions are dealt us. We have enough ice, but virtually no snow. We are still praying for the forecast to improve for us. Depending on the conditions presented to us on Saturday, the competition directors will decide which events will be hosted. We did launch the WAK SHAK on the lake this past weekend.
http://www.wakkiteboarding.com/imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
With the current conditions, we decided to keep it as close to shore as possible. Unfortunately for us, there is a lot of fisherman, atv and snowmobile traffic around the boat launch. We did place it far enough out from shore that we will hopefully miss most of that traffic, but not too far to walk out. It was a warm day around here today, but when we launched the shack on Saturday, we had 12" of ice. The Sturgeon Stampede Winter Kiteboarding Classic will ...... of course, stampede on! If no snow, alternate activities include, wake skate ( windsurf on a bladed boards, we have extra), beer, ice skating, ice bowling, beer, STURG-O-RAMA, sturgeon queen contest, minnow shots, beer, music, bon fire, lots of food, and of course, beer. A big party and everyone is invited. All we really need now is the snow. We`ve been in this spot before and scored snow the day before the event, so, pray, dance, or shake rocks (maybe this only works for the wind) for snow. I will update the conditions later in the week!
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

I was on the lake today setting up. It is nothing but ice pretty much everywhere. It isn't perfectly smooth, but we cruised all over the place on our Freeskates. There are patches of smooth ice, then patches of a little rougher ice, but nothing we couldn't ride through on the Freeskates. I think any ice boats or buggies will be a blast. Kiters on skis or boarders with switchblades should be able to ride. There is plenty of wind in the forecast, so I think kiters are definitely going to want small kites with all the ice. Any of the winter windsurfing gear should be perfect for this weekend also. I think doing anything wind driven on ice skates will probably be out though as the rough spots might be too much for skates. There are smooth patches where you can ice skate though. I will update tomorrow night also! Thought I would post a link to a pic we took today on the ice. I haven't windsurfed in several years now, but it was pretty fun today on the Freeskates!

http://wakkiteboarding.com/imagejpeg_2_4.jpg
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Thanks to all who did the stampede snow dance. It did work and we got snow and plenty of wind. Actually, it was so windy today, that the snow was really blowing around. We got 3-4inches with 1 ft drifts. The Stampede site and most of the lake is now 50/50 snow/ice coverage with lots of drifts. Lot's of wind in the forecast for the weekend. Temps on sat are expected to be in the teens, so come prepared. We do have a heated tent and of course the WAK Shak. Bonfire and awards are planned for sat night. We did drill a couple of holes at the site and we had anywhere from 10-13" of ice. It is safe to drive right out to the site, but close enough you can walk out if you choose to also. We will have to see what conditions are like in the morning as the wind was still whipping when I got off the lake an hour ago. If the wind keeps blowing like it is, by morning the lake might be polished off again. STAMPEDE.. Spread the word!
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Conditions were a little challenging. Guys were out riding on all sorts of equipment: kite and skis, kite and board, kite and snow buggies, kite and ice boat, winterboard windsurfing, freeskates, batwings, snowfers. For the most part, you want to have something that will go over/through the drifts and still hopefully catch an edge on the bare spots. We did run one race which was a straight "there and back" course. Then we did GPS speed drags. Fastest speed on a kite was 36.1 mph with skis, fast speed all day was 41.1 mph on a batwing/windwing. We will probably run the same events today. Conditions are still 50-50 on the ice/snow coverage. There is still good wind in the forecast.
WAK Jason

Post by WAK Jason »

Sorry for the delay, but I came down with a nasty flu and a sinus infection from the weekend out at the Stampede last weekend. Last weekend the conditions were challenging all weekend, but the fun wasn't. Thanks to all of you who attended and participated in the fun. Let's hope the wind and snow gods show us good favor next year. With the type of "winter" we have had so far, I am sure the ice will be gone much sooner than normal this year. The WAK is going to try to host it's first summer kiteboarding event this summer. I will definitely post up the info when it becomes available. If you are interested in checking out more pics from the 2012 Sturgeon Stampede, check out the slideshow on our homepage: http://www.wakkiteboarding.com
Thanks again!