Very Near Tragic Incident at South Padre

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Prof Marc

Very Near Tragic Incident at South Padre

Post by Prof Marc »

It was a terrific day of kiting today at SPI, with winds blowing steady in the 25 to 35mph range. Unfortunately, there was a very near tragic incident. Here is my first-hand account of it.

Location: south end of North Flats, South Padre Island, 300 feet from shore
Water depth: 2.5 feet
Wind conditions: strong but steady winds, perhaps 25 to 30mph
Kiter: Loyd Mays (?), from Michigan
Skill level: Intermediate
Kite: 8m Cabrinha

Mid-afternoon, kiting back towards shore, I spotted a kite drifting in the water, with no person in sight. I thought it must be a loose kite, and so I kited towards it hoping to catch it. Then I spotted a helmet floating loose in the water; then I spotted the body. It was floating face down, motionless.

I stopped about 15 feet downwind, dropped my kite, flagged it, and ran towards the body. It's hard to explain the sense of dread that came over me when I flipped it over. The face was completely white, eyes open and glazed over; the person was completely unresponsive, and not breathing. I was certain that he was dead.

I called for help as loud as I could and started mouth-to-mouth, blowing in as hard as I could, but his lungs were so full of water that it seemed that little air was getting in. The person was still attached to his kite and this point, via both the chicken loop and the leash, but the kite was leading-edge down, and sitting stably in the water. (I tried to release the chicken loop, but I wasn't familiar with the Cabrinha mechanism -- one has to push out the red slider instead of pulling it in.) Since the kite wasn't tugging or interfering, I concentrated on the mouth-to-mouth.

After perhaps two minutes, water started coming out of his lungs as I was blowing in air. I thought that he was coughing just a little, which gave me the slightest hope that he might still be alive. I continued calling for help and giving him mouth-to-mouth.

After about four minutes, another kiter arrived. With the other person holding the victim, I started compressing the victim's chest in between mouth-to-mouth breaths. With the baggy wetsuit on, it wasn't easy to do the compressions, but water started coming out of his mouth. Gradually, he started coughing and gurgling more visibly, and he appeared to be taking breaths, so I stopped the mouth-to-mouth.

It took other people longer than I expected to arrive on the scene. First, after perhaps 7 minutes, a kitting instructor arrived on a jet ski. He called 911, but otherwise didn't assist. Then three, four, and finally five people were there. Someone detached the kite. We all carried the victim to shore. The victim is a big guy, maybe 200 pounds; it was quite an effort to carry him. On the beach, he continued to spit out water, and started to be ever so slightly responsive. He spoke his name, but he didn't know or couldn't say where he was or what had happened.

The paramedics arrived and took him to the Brownsville hospital. Apparently, he's now conscious and stable, but the doctors are concerned about the effect of all that water in his lungs. Apparently, very serious lung infections can occur as a result of such water inhalation.

I didn't know the victim, Loyd Mays, but we had chatted a bit on the beach about the wind conditions that morning. I crossed him on the water several times. He seemed to be kiting in control. He was attempting small jumps, but he didn't seem to be pushing himself beyond his skill limits.

No one saw the kite crash. The only clue that it was a bad crash is that the victim's helmet was knocked off. No one knows how long he was in the water before I got to him. But a person can only live for 4 minutes without breathing. Every second mattered in terms of how quickly I got to him.

Lessons learned.

1) We should all constantly watch other kiters. Every time we see a kite crash, we should immediately scan the scene to make sure that the person is okay If there's the slightly doubt, we should kite over in their direction immediately. Seconds count. Getting a person air is the absolute priority.

2) In this case, in shallow water with all the kites down and stable, equipment didn't interfere with the rescue at all. But it could have. Getting everyone -- the victim and the rescuers -- detached from kites should be a critical priority. If the situation is serious, and the kites are not needed, say for floatation, one should eject all kites.

3) Kiting is a dangerous sport. Of all the injuries that we fear -- torn ACLs, sliced fingers, even spinal injuries -- by far the biggest risk is drowning.

--Marc
JRN

Re: Very Near Tragic Incident at South Padre

Post by JRN »

WE SHOULD ALL BE THANKFUL, especially Lloyd & his family, for quick thinking individuals like you, Marc! I'm not sure if I would know how to release a Cabby bar either. Another safety reminder: Carry a knife to free yourself or possibly others from your gear. Be safe! Don't become a statistic.
Last edited by JRN on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thank you, Marc. Should let you all know that Mark Kedrowski dropped by Washington Square last Wednesday night when we were playing. He's here today because of similar heroes taking quick action. I can only hope I'll have the presence of mind to act as you did in such a time critical event. Prayers to Lloyd's healing.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Marc thanks for doing such an outstanding job and saving that person's life!!
and thanks for sharing the story.. it makes me more aware of the dangers of the sport but also
of the skills and compassion of the great people in the kiting community..
johnz

Post by johnz »

Wow, Marc!, a true hero!

You are so right about looking out for each other. I know we do that a lot up here in MN, that is quite the way to spread the 'Minnesota Nice'!!
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Geo

Post by Geo »

Great that you had the presence of mind to do the right things. Thanks for sharing - often I am so focused on what I am doing that I forget to not only avoid others, but to make sure that they are OK. Your account is a vivid image that will hopefully stay with me when I am out there.
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

Marc, this guy is very lucky to be alive thanks to your quick thinking and being close by to take action. You are truly a hero to his family and the kiting community.

This was a pretty high wind day, but it sounds like he was not doing anything too crazy, had the right size kite, and a helmet on, so it would be very interesting to hear what went wrong if he is able to remember any of it.

Very scary. Great work Marc!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

wow Marc, thank you for recounting this experience. I only hope that I could be as capable and level headed in a similar situation. You saved a persons life. wow.

I was on the other end of a similar situation about 13 years ago. I was knocked unconscious after a jump at Doug's in the Gorge. When Scott Chapman came upon me, he said I was bobbing up and down, eye's glaced over. He had to tell me to grab his board, and luckily we ended up getting back to shore. I don't doubt that if Scott had not been there that the bobbing would have stopped and I would have just gone down. I will always be grateful to Scott for what he did, as I am sure this man will be to you.

Lots of lessons here, know CPR, keep an eye on everyone, don't ever give up, riding safe doesn't prevent accidents it just reduces them, learn safety systems on other kites, etc etc.

amazing work Marc
Tighe
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Way to jump in and do what needed to be done. Not thinking about getting involved, and just doing it, is what it's all about.

You are a hero! Marc and that's that. :D
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
Denis

Post by Denis »

That was intense, Marc. Great thinking about making a safe environment first, then taking care of the victim. It was really lucky that you were CPR trained. You most certainly saved his life.

I would encourage everyone to know CPR. The Red Cross has their downloadable materials here: http://www.redcross.org/cpr It's a good idea to get certified as well. The twin cities chapter runs regular classes. http://www.redcross.org/en/takeaclass It's free if you're a Red Cross volunteer.
Last edited by Denis on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
RobH

Post by RobH »

Very thankfull you were there. We kited with Lloyd several days and had let him demo a kite as he was looking to upgrade from his 14m Contra. Very nice guy who was always kiting within his limits from our observations. Thanks again for the save!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Well done Professor!
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Well done Marc
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Nicely done Marc! You should be maxed out on Karma for a while! ...can you wish for some snow?
Randy

Post by Randy »

Just an update. Down here with Judd and Dianne. Came in Monday night. They're good friends with fellow Michigan kiter, Rusty. He told us yesterday that Lloyd was doing fine and will hopefully have many more days of full life in his body thanks to Marc. What a great feeling for us all. Thanks, Marc. If you're still down here, please give me a call and I'd love to buy you a beer. If Lloyd's still down here, sure would be good to treat you both to a beer. My cell is 612-590-0970.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

Just an update. Down here with Judd and Dianne. Came in Monday night. They're good friends with fellow Michigan kiter, Rusty. He told us yesterday that Lloyd was doing fine and will hopefully have many more days of full life in his body thanks to Marc. What a great feeling for us all. Thanks, Marc. If you're still down here, please give me a call and I'd love to buy you a beer. If Lloyd's still down here, sure would be good to treat you both to a beer. My cell is 612-590-0970.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
4w7s

Post by 4w7s »

Hey Marc,

Thanks for your quick thinking and quick response which undoubtedly saved Lloyds life!

I'm a West MI kiteboarder and met Lloyd 6 years ago and see him when I'm riding the South Haven spot occasionally. Many of us here in MI were in a state of shock when we heard about this accident. Your efforts go to show how crucial it is for us to keep an eye on each other and be ready to help without hesitation. It's an absolute miracle that he is ready to walk out of the hospital already...thanks to you!

May you be blessed with a lifetime of good winds and clean waves for your heroic deeds.

Roberto
JakeZee

Post by JakeZee »

Hey Mark thanks for saving our little buddy Lloyd!

jake
Woody

Post by Woody »

Unreal...

Hats off to you Marc for maintaining your presence of mind, & this truly heroic deed to another human being.
Woody
Team World - CAN757
Neil Pryde Team Rider
surferlloyd

Post by surferlloyd »

Hey, Thanks Marc I"m doing fine.
Lloyd Main