The 2011 Midwest Speed Quest Final Results...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Craig Bergh

The 2011 Midwest Speed Quest Final Results...

Post by Craig Bergh »

Hello Everyone,

The 2011 Midwest Speed Quest on Lake Okabena, Worthington Minnesota is over. This was the 7th year, with many new and returning racers participating. It is time to announce the Final Results.

We follow the rules and methods of International Speed Sailing. Our GPS units are the most precise hand held units available. Our speeds can be compared to other Speed Sailors around the World. And the Prize Money remains the best in North American Speed Sailing.

The racers competed in this event were provided with a LOCOSYS GT-31 GPS. The speeds were calculated using Doppler positional measurements, and are based on the "Best Ten Second Run". The GPS data was entered into a computer, and the data was carefully analyzed. Speeds were calculated with the greatest possible precision to 0.01 knots. The tools and methods used were consistent with International Speed Sailing Events, and GPS Speed Surfing.

And The Final Results are:

First Place: Andrew Anderson, Oakland CA 34.31 knots (39.46 mph)

Second Place David Knight, Fridley Minnesota 31.51 knots (36.24 mph)

Third Place Randy Johnson, Forest Lake Minnesota 31.07 knots (35.73 mph) (New Personal Best Speed)

Fourth Place Adam Anderson, Eagen Minnesota 31.03 knots (35.68 mph)

Fifth Place Judd Nelson, Minneapolis, MInnesota 30.89 knots (35.52 mph) (New Personal Best Speed)

Congratulations to the winners. Andrew will receive $1000. David will receive $500, Randy $250, Adam $125, and Judd $75. \

6th Place Ed Melechson, Papillion, Mebraska 30.44 knots (35.01 mph)

7th Place Arden Anderson, Fon du Lac, Wisconsin 30.17 knots (34.70 mph)

8th Place Erick Ries, Edina, Minnesota 28.19 knots (33.42mph) (New Personal Best Speed)

9th Place Jason Swanson, Bigelow, Minnesota 28.15 knots (32.37mph) (New Personal Best Speed)

10th Place Jerry Bachmeier, Bloomington, Minnesota 26.73 knots (30.74 mph) (New Personal Best Speed)

Youth Category:

1st Place Niels Zaunmueller, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin 20.32 knots (23.37 mph) (New Personal Best Speed)
This is a very impressive speed for a 14 year old. Niels is also becoming a top course racer too.
Niels wins his choice of a Gath Safety Helmet or a Windtronic 2 Wind Meter

New for 2010, we created an Alpha Racing Category. This is a competition based on the best average speed through jibe (complete turn) over a 500 meter distance. This Category was designed to reward those racers with superior technical skills. Alpha Racing is somewhat new in the USA, but is very popular in other Countries. This is the 2nd year of Alpha Racing, and it has been very popular.

1st Place Judd Nelson 22.52 knots (25.90 mph) ($500 Cash)

2nd Place Andrew Anderson 21.05 knots (24.21 mph) ($250 CASH)

3rd Place Arden Anderson 20.66 knots (23.76 mph) ($125 CASH)

4th Place Adam Anderson 19.91 knots (22.90 mph) ($75 CASH)

5th Place Ed Melechson 19.20 knots (22.08 mph) ($50 CASH)

Each year, we recognize the sailor with the greatest passion for Speed Sailing, and for the Sport of Windsurfing. For 2011, the Spirit of Speed Quest Award goes to Richard Stirn of Worthington, MN. Richard took his very first lesson this spring, and quickly moved into the foot straps and harness. He recorded a Best Ten Second Run of 18.66 knots (21.46 mph). Richard has tremendous enthusiasm and the potential of being a top windsurfer. Congratulations Richard!!!
Richard wins his choice of a Gath Safety Helmet, a LOCOSYS GT-31 GPS, or a Windtronic 2 Wind Meter.

A Special Thanks to the Crew at GPS Speed Surfing. Thank you Martin Van Meurs, Roger Van Tongeren, Dylan DeJong, and the rest of the crew. Thank you for creating and expanding the Sport of Speed Surfing around the World!

And I really want to thank the Sailors. It is a pleasure to put on a event for competitors like the ones we have had year after year. Our home will always be open to all visiting Windsurfers.

The Midwest Speed Quest was designed to be different. This event is free to all participants; yet pays the highest Prize Money in North America. The purpose is to promote the new Sport of Speed Sailing, and the City of Worthington. Our goal was to bring Sailors of all skills levels together and introduce them to the new Sport of Speed Sailing. The schedule was open 7 days a week for a 6 month period. Any visiting sailors were assured of the chance to participate anytime he/she was in the area. We provide free or discounted motel rooms at the AmericInn of Worthington, free refreshments on the Beach, and free hot meals at the end of the day.

Year after year, we provide free on-site Child Care, Pet Care, and even Spousal Care (care of the Windsurfing Widow)!

All the work associated with this event was done on a volunteer basis. Meals and refreshments were served beach side all season long free of charge. A special thanks to my wife Pamela for her support and assistance over the last 7 years.

Each year we search the world for the finest Speed Sailing Gear available for our visiting racers to try out. This is the finest demo gear anywhere! A Special Thank you to the companies that provided demo gear for this Event.

The Midwest Speed Quest is made possible by the support of our many Sponsors. These Sponsors allowed us to award $3000 in Prize Money, and the many drawing for Windsurfing Gear and Gift Certificates all season long.

I encourage you to support these Sponsors. Visit their links on the Sponsors Page. Call these guys and buy your gear from them. Let these Sponsors you appreciate their support of the Midwest Speed Quest.

And a special thanks to Jeff Hegwer, Jason Swanson, and to Therapeutic Winds Windsurfing School of Mason City Iowa. Jeff and Jason have been with use since the beginning, and are always there to support us, and to promote the Sport!
THANKS JEFF AND JASON!!!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! You have made the Midwest Speed Quest a Success!

Craig and Pamela Bergh
The Midwest Speed Quest
133 Lake Avenue
Worthington, MN 56187

web: http://www.midwestspeedquest.com

email: cbergh@iw.net

Cell: 1-507-360-4801

GPS Coordinates: Lat 43.62208
Long -95.61218
johnz

Re: The 2011 Midwest Speed Quest Final Results...

Post by johnz »

Nice job, you guys!

Congratulations to all the winners - and to everybody who participated.

Makes me want to dust off the ol' poleboard... but I'd get really dusted by you crazy speed freaks!! :P :P

Very Cool!!!
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Randy

Post by Randy »

Worthington is ‘worth a ton’ given the tremendous generosity of its people. Bill Keitel and Jeff Hegwar have inspired us all with what can be accomplished once the mind is set. Who would have guessed the the US National Windsurfing Championships would be held multiple times on a small lake in rural Minnesota? Similarly, who would have guessed that speed sailing would have such a boost from this venue? The Midwest Speed Quest happens because of the unbelievable dedication, generosity, and expertise of Craig Bergh. He promotes it, gets the latest equipment for us to try, spearheads the advancement of GPS technology, and most graciously opens the family home to those of us who take the invitation. His wife, Pamela, deserves a medal.

Craig makes it possible for us to quantify our personal best. Being/doing our best requires 100% attention and full surrender to the moment. It’s been amazing for me to realize how ‘easy’ my best runs have felt. In contrast, I’ve consistently noticed that when ‘trying’ the hardest I never hit my best. They say, “If you want to be your best, hang around those who aim to be their best.” For two weeks in October I got to play this event with some great talent aiming to be their best. I’m particularly grateful to Judd Nelson, the Anderson brothers, and Dave Knight. I know I couldn’t have hit my recorded speeds without our shared energy of reaching for new territory. The hunger to hit new levels of performance was palpable.

Anyway, hats off to you, Craig, for making this happen. You unselfishly provided the opportunity for us to participate in a great event. Kudos to Andrew for showing us what real speed sailing looks like. He held a 7.8M rig as steady as a rock in choppy waters and 30+ mph winds. Judd, you killed it on the alpha runs with your slick duck jibing, quelling the notion that we loose our windsurfing skills when we’ve taken to kiting. I’ll always dearly hold the memories of our time on Lake Okebena.
Attachments
IMG_9612.JPG
IMG_9612.JPG (103.48 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

Well said Randy... I can't believe the time, energy, and expense that Craig puts into this year after year... amazing!

Nice to sail with you again- can't wait til next year to do more drag racing...

Hat's off to Craig for all he does... here's Craig crunching the day's gps speed numbers... with Andrew Anderson (the speediest this year) looking on.
Attachments
IMG_5642.jpg
IMG_5642.jpg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
JRN

Post by JRN »

THIS MUST HAVE BEEN WHAT MY MOM MEANT, when she said not to hang out with the fast crowd. I've admired all the local riders for your OTW skills ever since I started chasing the wind. It remains an honor to share the same wind & water (& sometimes snow), with all of you. Ride on, Bros!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})