trainer kite advice

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johntr

trainer kite advice

Post by johntr »

I'm thinking about getting a small kite to experience kiting with, while safely on land and wearing shoes (not skis!). What are the best ones these days? What size makes sense for a 180 pounder? For his much lighter wife and daughter?

I've read about 4.0, 3.0, and 2.0 sizes, and 4 line, 3 line, and 2 line. I'm speculating that the perfect one for us would be a 3.0 4 line, so we could see what the controls are like with a "real" setup, and yet not get pulled all over the place. Do those exist? Does it make more sense to just be happier with the 2 line or 3 line?

Where can one fly one of these kites? Is it reasonable to fly it at an (empty) park?

Thanks!
John
JRN

Re: trainer kite advice

Post by JRN »

I'd guess that most of us started on the 2-line variety. They are simple & provide the most basic flying experience, without the additional need to worry about moving the bar in and out to power or depower the kite. The 3 meter can provide enough versatility to not only be used to learn, but is also big enough to be used as a snow-kite in winter. The flying lines are usually around 25 meters, so make sure you have at least 50 yards of down wind safety margin just in case. You also want to stay away from trees, power lines, roads, and bystanders. A better alternative may be lessons, where a qualified instructor can provide the kites, a safe venue, as well as the proper technique for a postive introductory experience.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

I love the HQ Rush Pro's. I own 3 of them and a Hydra. The reverse relaunch is ideal for anyone looking to move onto a depower foil on the snow. Learning the art of reverse relaunch with a trainer will put you light years ahead of the curve when you finally get a bigger kite to get snowboarding/skiing time in.

Of the 3 Rush Pro's that I own, 2 are 250's and 1 is a 350. I have 2 of the 250's because I started kiteskateboarding and seemed to be tearing my first one up on the asphalt. As a preventative measure, I purchased another of the same size. To this date, I am still using the original 250 and it is doing fine - though I kind of regret buying the second one since they are proving to be so tough.

I purchased the 350 to use as a light wind kiteskateboarding kite. Unfortunately, it is a little scary over concrete when the wind is good so I do not use it much. And just to let you know, I am 100kg (220lbs). The 250 is the choice for me for kiteskateboarding at all times or I just don't go out.

My first trainer kite was a 4m HQ Scout. I never liked the kite but it did get me going in the sport (or almost ended my experimentation with it out of fear of its power). It is just that this kite was too powerful for me even at 100kg. 2 years later and 4 depower snowkites from 6m to 12.5m later, I was buying new GOOD trainer kites. Kind of backwards, but let that be a lesson to you. I suggest go high quality with reverse relaunch and go small. This is a benefit to you and any smaller person that you may want to let use it to get a taste of the sport.
MK

Post by MK »

John, lessons are slowing down. I've got a few of sizes you mentioned you could try to get the feel of them. Let me know if this interests you.

2 line is junk IMO. Need at least 3rd line for launching, landing and depower safely by yourself. Additionally the 3rd line makes it so you can operate with greater independence. 4 line kites get into more depowerable and greater finesse.

Foil kite sizes are bigger than their LEI counterparts therefore are more powerful comparatively. Meaning a 3M foil is more powerful than a 3M LEI.

Hope this helps. You will appreciate some of these options if you decide use for your family in land.