Chicken Loop Rope

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BUCKAROO

Chicken Loop Rope

Post by BUCKAROO »

Now that it is getting closer to winter and my Favorite time of the year I am getting my kites ready with parts I bought at the end of last season.

As I was replacing the parts(bearing) it became apparent that I was not going to get my old frayed chicken loop rope back thru all the components. I know I can order one but then I have to wait.

Is any good quality nylon rope from a hardware store OK to use ? Or from a sailing store ?

I can sew the bearing end myself.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Dean Rizer

Re: Chicken Loop Rope

Post by Dean Rizer »

I'm guessing you are replacing a Slingshot Turbo series chicken loop rope? I would stay with the Spectra line. I have tried various types of nylon from local sailing shops and they all stretch. I was able to find the replacement ceramic bearings locally at Roller Bobs in Delano. He sold them to me in singles. Good Luck!
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Nylon is a no-go! It may do the job, but I have had enough windsurfing harness lines snap on me to know better than to put that into a chicken loop. On windsurf lines it is usually due to sand getting into the plastic tube and working its way into the rope fibers. Then, one day after 3 years of hard use, snap!!!

Any thoughts on what to do if your chicken loop line snaps on you out on the water and you cannot reload it (Best Kahoona's or other easy relaunch kites)?

I was carrying a bit of nylon line with me to get me back to shore if that happened but I never really tried to use it. I am also unsure of where to connect that line in that event.

Matt
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

When I had a safety break off the chickenloop during a hard crash (so I couldn't reload it). I pulled my depower all the way in and rode back to the beach unhooked. Luckily I was upwind at the time.... I don't think I could have managed to get back upwind.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

West Marine on 394 in Minnetonka has the grey Spectra line you can buy by the foot.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Nylon degrades with exposure to UV in sunlight, so I would not use it. As pointed out by Jason, West Marine has some really nice and cheap braided lines (made of Dyneema maybe?) that I used to repair chicken loop lines before. Bring your old chicken loop line. It makes it easier to find a replacement if you show that to the guy behind the counter.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Search Amsteel 5/16" (1/4" works also, but your stopper ball will slide down on it's own after awhile)

This is the actual rope that Slingy uses. Buy remnents and save!

Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/