Summer of 2011 gathering

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Summer of 2011 gathering

Post by Tighe »

UPDATED: We're on for July 8-10th for this year's gathering at Malmo on Lake Mille Lacs

This is our summer non-event. We have avoided structure and formality since the first gathering, and we have been fortunate to avoid the no wind plague of most events. We have had wind for every gathering we've had so far, though there are no guarantees.

It's just a fun weekend of riding and hanging out with riders from around the area. Many camp out, many bring bbqs, most leave smiling.

The gathering is for all riders and those just wanting to connect with our great riding community, ask questions, and see what it's all about. There are typically lessons going on during the weekend, but best to try to arrange something with one of the local schools prior to heading up to ensure availability.

Looking forward to connecting with riders from around the area.
Tighe
BestKiter

Re: Summer of 2011 gathering

Post by BestKiter »

sounds good to me man
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

I like it.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

So not a ton of interest in this?
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Sounds good to me :D
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
MK

Post by MK »

I'm interested.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Ohh Tighe, don't cry... I'm definitely interested!
Chad in Sioux Falls

Post by Chad in Sioux Falls »

My wife and I would like to get up to Mille Lacs this summer. She just got her first couple of sessions getting up on the board in Padre this spring and sounds like the shallow waters of Mille Lacs would be great for her progression. We will try to make it that weekend.
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

It is on my calendar.
jennb

Post by jennb »

that weekend sounds good to me too.
tbayray

Post by tbayray »

:D A big EEEEHHHHHHH (pronounced "A") for those that don't understand Canadian from tbayray in Thunder Bay. Can you get a definite weekend. The Canadian may come up with Kites too!!! Would love to share your lake with ya again. It has been a while. Get that date down so we can make plans

tbayray
At one time, a lost Canadian windsurfer who came to Minnesota to compete in regattas. Can be found sailing on a lake in Canada known as "Superior". From Thunder Bay, Ontario known as "tbayray to some Minnesota sailors thanks to Mike Fox.
JRN

Post by JRN »

8) :idea: DO IT! :!: :) :o :P :D
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Reds

Post by Reds »

I will try my best to get there. I have missed em all so far but would love to join in!!!
Patrick
tnautique

Post by tnautique »

I'm in. See you there ! 8)
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Great. Sounds like we have a date that works. Looking forward to it.
Tighe
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

That weekend is free for me, so I am planning to go to Malmo. I have kited Malmo last October on my 9.5m and Reddy this May 30th on my 13.5m. Does anyone have information or opinion about Hunter's Point on the east shore, like the depth, the launch site, peculiarities, etc.? If I drive up a couple of days early, I want to look the site over, see how it compares to Malmo or Reddy. Not sure if it is a public access or private property though, needing permission to go there.
bscheig

Post by bscheig »

Tighe

I'm available for Friday night and Saturday. Any thoughts/suggestions on lodging?

Bill
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Stefan- Hunters point works better as a windsurf launch than a Kiteboard launch. There is a small marina, some cabins, and the shallows only extend a line length or two out. Not impossible but malmo is much better for almost the same wind directions...S-NW

Bill
Garrison inn is about 25 minutes away for hoteling. There may be some cabins for rent. Camping is available at Malmo Bay campground, Castaways, wealthwood, FatherHennepin St. park.

Any other options that people know of?
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Stefan- Hunters point works better as a windsurf launch than a Kiteboard launch. There is a small marina, some cabins, and the shallows only extend a line length or two out. Not impossible but malmo is much better for almost the same wind directions...S-NW

Bill
Garrison inn is about 25 minutes away for hoteling. There may be some cabins for rent. Camping is available at Malmo Bay campground, Castaways, wealthwood, FatherHennepin St. park.

Any other options that people know of?
Tighe
Krishna

Post by Krishna »

I would really like to go to this, but I'm an absolute beginner. Still, would be nice to meet some of you, and maybe fly the trainer kite or something. What do you think?