Ramsey Beach on Memorial Day and other busy days

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

RandyL

Ramsey Beach on Memorial Day and other busy days

Post by RandyL »

The only advantage to the record low water level at White Bear Lake is Ramsey Beach being closed to swimmers. We have been fortunate to have the majority of the beach to ourselves over the last couple of years. That being said, if the weather is even half decent on Memorial Day there will be many more picnickers and boaters than usual. I just want to mention to those of you who don’t already know it that Rutherford Beach is a great alternative to a busy Ramsey Beach.
Rutherford has no docks, more shallows, hundreds of yards of beach, and even on holidays it usually has no picnickers or swimmers. Speaking from experience, another Rutherford advantage is it is much more newbie friendly than Ramsey. The only disadvantage is parking, which is really no big deal, just drop your stuff off at the entrance and park a half block away on Park Ave.
Again this is just a friendly reminder and if the weather is crappy Ramsey may not be busy, but if it’s nice, Rutherford should be the safer call.
Have a great Memorial Day and be safe. :D
Attachments
Rutherford_pic.jpg
Rutherford_pic.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
ice_kmauve

Re: Ramsey Beach on Memorial Day and other busy days

Post by ice_kmauve »

That is where I intend to be tomorrow.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
nickfastswim

Post by nickfastswim »

RandyL wrote: Rutherford has no docks,....
Well technically Rutherford is surrounded by docks. One dock to the right of the Rutherford arrow and many more to the left.

The place where you can walk out to is rather iffy, it has tons of big rocks underwater. If you are not careful you can catch your board on one of them while riding.

But other wise I agree it is a better place to launch from if Ramsey is busy.
-Nick
BestKiter

Post by BestKiter »

yea for sure. it seems like a legit option to at least rig at ramsey...and cruise over to Ruth because of minimal obstructions. Its a safer place to ride as far as beachgoers go...because its outta the way. but for the kiter..u gotta be careful. lotta rocks, weeds and large docks that arent too good for a big unhook or kite loop..hahaha :) but anyway..keep the cool if you ride tommorow at Bear. I for sure will be there.
MK

Post by MK »

Perfect post Randy. Good to focus on solutions and options. I thought about it but you acted.

I'm heading to Cannon with a few. Enjoy the day! Hope somebody takes some pics and video then posts.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Rutherford works nice on SW winds - the wind funnels right in there from that bridge so the wind isn't blocked from manitou like it is on a S-SW wind. Nice swell in there to play on in a couple of big wind days I've been there.
Lunchtime today anyone?
KO
Kevin Ousdigian