Mille Lacs Memorial Weekend - Beach clean up

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Nathan B

Mille Lacs Memorial Weekend - Beach clean up

Post by Nathan B »

Hope everyone has a great Memorial weekend and can get on the water!
Spending my weekend between Mille lacs and Gull Lake.
If anyone can make it to Reddy Creek on Saturday to volunteer, we are having a beach clean up starting around 11.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210347572338766
BestKiter

Re: Mille Lacs Memorial Weekend - Beach clean up

Post by BestKiter »

Yeah buddy i plan to be there, ger a chance to clean up another great spot for kitesurfing!
Everyone..this is a great thing to be involved with! If you are free...please donate some time and rock it with us this weekend
and clean up some areas where we spend great times in the summer! Lets have a fun weekend and enjoy it!

~Graham :D 8)
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I'll be there, wind or no wind.

Rake, Bags, & Shovel.

Wind would be nice.
RobH

Post by RobH »

plannin on it
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

Adam and I are planning on being there.

Paul
davepark

Post by davepark »

Looks like I will be able to make it. Does anyone know if we will have a place to leave the bagged garbage or do we have to plan on hauling it home?
MK

Post by MK »

Bring your kites!

Weather for Garrison, MN

Today
Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. High 59F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Tonight
Showers with a possible thunderstorm early, then variable clouds overnight with still a chance of showers. Low 46F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Tomorrow
Windy with thunderstorms in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 68F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Updated: 5/27/11 11:08 AM CDT
MK

Post by MK »

Looks like the wind is here today. This means I get to work:) Had hoped to make it up but I'll just do what I always do and sweep the area for garbage whenever I ride. Hope you all get favorable conditions and can ride too. Can someone take the lead and reply on the meeting?

Thank you
reutersju

Post by reutersju »

Guys,

I wish I could make it but I am on call all weekend for work, bummer!

Chad
JRN

Post by JRN »

THANKS TO ALL WHO SHOWED UP YESTERDAY. Excellent job making the Reddy strip of sand spic & span. We were rewarded with some epic wind & the usual good company of the world's nicest kiters. Always a blast to hang and ride with you all! :D
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Yeah what a great day. Thanks Nathan for organizing the beach clean up. It can get pretty bad up there. Who ever ordered the wind. Great job as well. Nice steady mille wind, with a bit of thermals added. It was amazing just hangin out on the shore, with waves lapping down the line, shimmering waters, crisp sunny skies and massive bright white billowing clouds floating over head. Beautiful. Great mood.

Had to take off to get to my daughter. How'd the meeting go? Someone want to summarize the thoughts shared?
Tighe
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

Thanks Nathan, you sure picked the right day :D
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I think the wind was too good to have a meeting.

As far as I know, no meeting... correct me if I missed it.

WONDERFUL DAY :D :D :D
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Thanks so much to all for helping with the Clean-Up! your efforts were really recognized! and I hope everyone enjoyed the wind! that was special order just for those who showed 8) Reddy has not pumped wind like that in a while.
The Clean Up was a great way to all get together to do something positive for the community and hopefully that impact will be seen. I know the beach is cleaner, crazy thing is that this was the 4th clean up this year at Reddy Creek and we still managed to get 200+lbs. really shows how much pollution is going on up there and hate to say it but the fisherman have a huge influence on all the garbage.
some great points were made as far as the meeting and look forward to sharing them at Waconia, everyone was in a wind frenzy after the clean up.

again Thank you all!
Attachments
Group Pic.jpg
Group Pic.jpg (375.2 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
davepark

Post by davepark »

Nathan,

I would also like to thank you for organizing the clean up. It was a great thing to do and the wind was a bonus (even though I still can’t get a decent ride in, I have fun trying).

As far as the garbage goes though…………………. With all of the discussion going on about the kiting community working with other people to make sure we have places to ride, we should be careful about vocalizing who to blame for the garbage. We certainly don’t want any groups of people mad at us for blaming them for something. We absolutely know where most of that garbage we picked up came from, but it is not all from the fishermen. As an example, I have picked up beer cans, bottles, and other trash left behind by kiters this winter out on kite island. Last summer a kiter let his dog take a crap on the beach at Reddy and he did not pick up after it. And we know some of the garbage we find later this summer at Reddy & Malmo will be from us. Whether it was careless, forgotten, or on purpose, some of the trash will be ours. We should just take the high road and let folks know we cleaned the beach and not say anything about where we think it came from. I know on web sites that have fishing forums, the fishermen get very vocal within their own community about all of the garbage. They are just as bummed about it as we are. As with anything in life it’s usually a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. I say let the fishermen police themselves and we can concentrate on policing ourselves.

Thanks again for a good day on the beach.