Loosening knots in kite lines

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

markdbliss

Loosening knots in kite lines

Post by markdbliss »

So I had the great idea of modifying the line lengths of my 9M Ozone Frenzy kite. I made normal knots, not the "easy to undo" kind. Went kiting this winter, and put normal line tension through them. However, I made the front lines a little short, so would like to remove a few, but can't seem to get 'em loose.

What is the best way to go about undoing the knots???

Anyone done this and regretted your modification? What are my options?
tom_latcham

Re: Loosening knots in kite lines

Post by tom_latcham »

Sometimes I find a knot in one of my kite lines. I find if you get the line wet and pinch it gently with a plyers the the knot will loosen up. It is best to find plyers that have a smooth jaw. Notched jaws may put extra wear on the line. It might take 5 to 10 minutes of pinching to get it to loosen up if it has been cinched under kite power.
Good luck
Tom
JERRY

Re: Loosening knots in kite lines

Post by JERRY »

Sit down in front of tv and pop in your favorite kite video. Take the knot and gently chew on it. The lubrication of saliva and working the knot with your teeth will loosen it. I quarantee it. Good luck.
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward