TFL Injury and Kiteboarding?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Stroh

TFL Injury and Kiteboarding?

Post by Stroh »

I have someone that wants to start kiteboarding but has had an injury to her TFL (tensor fascia lata) that doesn’t currently allow her to do things like running and squats. I am wondering if anyone out there has some information on how much risk of re-injury she would have while kiteboarding. Also if you have experienced this type of injury, any info would be appreciated.

She is super stoked about learning to ride, but I don’t want her to risk further injury by doing so.
Jon Stroh
djmadmike

Re: TFL Injury and Kiteboarding?

Post by djmadmike »

I am not an MD, but I deal with sports injuries all the time. Heck, I just did a session with an athlete who had a shoulder issue just today.

A few questions
1) did the doc ban her from doing the sport or does she have pain in a specific movement?

2) if she has pain, what movement causes pain?

If it is only pain, was it from an injury?

Long term, I like to see athletes do exercises from a variety of positions--squats, lunges to different angles to build up the tissue in that movement.

The body is amazing since it will always put down extra tissue along lines of stress. This allows us to "bullet proof" our body as much as possible to reduce injuries. This is not a guarantee that a hard fall at a goofy angle will not result in an injury, but stacks the deck in your favor.

Let me know and happy to help
rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
Kelcher

Post by Kelcher »

Hi,

My name is John, just returned from South Padre. I suffered from a knee injury (hyper-extended it), much do to my impatience, excitement, and level of risk I was assuming. In any event, I found that with a knee brace (keeping my knee aligned) I was okay to ride toward the end of the trip. However, the knee brace did nothing for the "Squat-like" motion that is needed to stand-up on your board. I'm certainly new to this sport, but I think it would be difficult to get up if you can't do a squat. Now... with that said, snow-kiting using skies may be somewhat different.

I would encourage her to come watch sometime (water & winter). She will then have a better idea of the movements required by her body, and can articulate that to a medical professional.
Hope that helps! Yes... South Padre WELL WORTH IT an AMAZING FUN trip!
Kelcher
Blaine, MN
Level = Rookie
KB Since = Jan 7th 2011
Equip = Slingshot Key HD
>-<0 =|==============D
KimK

Post by KimK »

Hi, I'm the injured person :)

"1) did the doc ban her from doing the sport or does she have pain in a specific movement?"
The only thing I am banned from is running, since that is what aggravates the muscle. I am to go on the elliptical, but with no resistance...and I can do that for a long time with no problems during or after.
I had no problem going through rough ungroomed terraine on my snowboard.

"2) if she has pain, what movement causes pain?"
Driving for a long time and then getting out of my car brings out the soreness. Sometimes I feel it when I'm walking, but it's not painfull, just annoying.

"If it is only pain, was it from an injury?"
I was a bit unstable when doing side leg lifts with my foot connected to a cable, which was connected to 10 lb weight. Doc thinks that's when I got tendonities, but due to the doctors (I went to 3) not figuring out what the problem was, and me keep working out (avoiding running), it caused the tear.
These could be speculations on his part....but it's the best anybody could come up with so far. MRI is out of budget right now, so I'm getting ART treatment (Active Release Therapy) and soft tissue treatment for a couple of months now. Movement is super now.

I can do squats with not really any problems, but the doc asked me not to.

Hope this helps. Knowing me, I will try kite boarding for sure. There is no better way of finding out if I can do it, then to do it. If I have pain afterwards, then I will not do it for a while. If not, then there's nothing holding me :D

Thanks for all your input, and I'm interested to hear more.
-K
Kelcher

Post by Kelcher »

Kim-

Good for you! Just take it very easy, and of-course if it hurts STOP. I would recommend professional instruction, this sport is not one to just "start" on your own.

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes!

Cheers!
Kelcher
Blaine, MN
Level = Rookie
KB Since = Jan 7th 2011
Equip = Slingshot Key HD
>-<0 =|==============D
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

She is signed up for professional instruction... just waiting for that water to warm up!

Hopefully everything will go well, while it is a squat position it is a lot less resistance than getting up on a wake board… I kind of worry about the up and over the toe edge thing that happens to beginners as well, I think that can be mostly solved with loose foot straps so the board comes off easily when Dragging behind.

This is a tough chick, she competes in triathlons, and she will probably give us all a run for our money in our competitions!
Jon Stroh
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

KimK

Sounds like you are doing better. Sweet!

Try to avoid long periods of no movement (if possible) since you probably need more movement in that area. Tissue can get "stuck" to other things during period of little to no movement. Seems simple I know. If you are still doing ART, try to do some movements for the area they worked on as soon as possible post treatment so that the new range of motion will "stick/hold" longer.

I would test out a squatting position with an upper body movement.

Example, partial squat (or lunge) while pressing a weight up overhead. While this does not simulate kiting, it is teaching the body to hold one portion (lower body) while moving the upper body.

If that goes well, try sequential lower body/upper body movement like a thruster or push press. Using the lower body to drive a weight overhead.

Since you mentioned running as an issue, I would look at your gait/running form.
Going to a more barefoot/non supportive shoe (gradually) has helped everyone I've worked with from an Olympian from Australia to weekend warriors of all types.
http://extremehumanperformance.com/blog ... ern-shoes/

Anything else I can do to help, drop me a line here or at michaelTnelson AT yahoo DOT com

You will love kiteboarding!!!!
Rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
KimK

Post by KimK »

I will try the squats.
Currently I am still in treatment about twice a week! It's been about 2 months :(
Running gate is a good observation and I know that I'm using muscles that I'm not supposed to. Once I'm to the point of being able to run again, I will get a gate analysis here in Oshkosh (only affordable one I know).
These injuries (I just rolled my ankle a little bit ago LOL) are a blessing in disguise. Not that I don't love to train every minute I can fit into my lifestyle, but with not doing Tri's this season, I get to do a lot of other things. So I'm happy to get this chance to realize that training isn't everything (I'm VERY competitive).
I usually do a little bit of barefoot running, but never go into it much.

I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ON THE WATER!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what the second set of squats are, but I will google it :D