Sailing with new parts

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chip

Sailing with new parts

Post by Chip »

First time in past several years I haven't been able to get out and enjoy Mother Superior before the end of March. The Park Point beach is solidly buried with 30 high ice "volcano's" as we call them. Looks like it will be a while before they go away too.

More importantly, I had my left hip resurfaced a week ago... I've been putting this off for way too long and finally took the big leap. I was wondering if any of you folks out there have any advice for someone in my position that wants to continue to sail (Lake Superior)?

Most of the feedback I've gotten has not been positive - primarily because of the risk of dislocation. Personally, I think that my new found mobility and strength will lessen the risk of dislocation because my hip flexures will no longer be atrophied as they were previous to surgery?

Thoughts?
TV

Re: Sailing with new parts

Post by TV »

Try not to fall with your feet wedged in your footstraps such that your ankles, knees or hips get badly twisted. I think my footstraps too tight, especially with booties, and have strained my hip and ankles on several occasions.

I hear the trend among wave and freestyle windsurfers is to ride with loose footstraps such that your feet easily eject during a bad wreak to avoid injury.

Not sure how you're going to cushion those big airs.

Tim
johnz

Re: Sailing with new parts

Post by johnz »

Hey, Chip,

I just found out last week that I may have to have that procedure or a replacement done. Would you mind giving me a call or email sometime to tell me about your experience with the whole thing?

johnz at zsyst-dot-com

six one 2 two 7 5 five 6 4 6

Thanks,
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider