Broken Kite Line, Where to buy new

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BUCKAROO

Broken Kite Line, Where to buy new

Post by BUCKAROO »

I broke a line today on my Slingshot 9M T3

Is there any place local that sells sets of lines ?

Does anyone know if all the lines are the same length on a T3 ? I hope so.

Any sources on-line ? I did not see one set on EBAY

I think Midwest Mountaineering sells slingshot do they have lines ?

Thanks In advance
JERRY

Re: Broken Kite Line, Where to buy new

Post by JERRY »

I personally replace all my lines with Q-Power lines. 500' spools you can cut & tie loops with out sleeving. Least chance of tangling which is a + for drift launching.
or..........check with Scuba Center for replacement of originals. Good luck :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
MK

Post by MK »

Happy to help you get back in the air. Let me know which line. mike@lakawa.com
BUCKAROO

Post by BUCKAROO »

Jerry
What type of loop do you use, I can probably find a picture on line ? The line broke 12" from the end so I was looking at repairing these myself for the short term.

MK
Do you have lines in stock ? Call me 651 269 1755 (Craig)
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

The T3s run on 23m lines. Highly recommend replacing all 4, since it can be difficult to match new to used/stretched lines. If equalizing line lengths, figure 8 knots to shorten lines are ok in the 800lb front lines though not recommended in the rear lines.

Q power, as Jerry recommends, is a good option, though you may want to do both lines, (if you broke a front, both fronts, etc). Spools are pretty reasonable. If you go the Q power route, the easiest way to get lines of equal length, is fold the ends over on each line first, then put the knot in.

OEM lines are available from both local retailers. Or you can get them direct from Slingshot.
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

You can loop the line back on itself and tie a single regular knot or a figure 8. Like the Q power suggestion, fold all the lines first at the same length, then put the knot in each. The distance the knot is from the end doesn't matter if you folded them all first. I would still use the pigtails on the end, and use a loop to loop between the flying line and the pigtail.

T3 lines should all be the same length when the adjustment strap is all the way out and the Chicken loop is against the bar.

The 800lbs front lines will be similar in strength to the original, though the outside lines will be a bit weaker at the knot. Figure 8 knots minimize the weakening of the lines due to the knot.

hope that helps.
Tighe
BUCKAROO

Post by BUCKAROO »

Tighe

When I try to repair my original lines will I need to sheath them or can I just do the Q Knot ?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

With the SS lines you can do a standard knot as I explained for the Q power. Again though I would suggest using the pigtails and just putting the loops on the lines. Also it's always the least stressful on the line to use figure 8 knots.

You can also put some shrink tubing over your knot when you are done to clean it up a bit. the downside of not having the sheathed connection is that it tends to catch other lines a bit easier.

You're lucky you line broke so close to an end.

good luck.
Tighe