Crossing?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

scottman

Crossing?

Post by scottman »

So for us that could not make it this year how did it go? I don't see any posts on peoples experiences, good or bad, any pictures, was there any wind?
Tighe

Re: Crossing?

Post by Tighe »

Another great Crossing weekend. Great seeing everyone. Incredible weather all weekend. Perfect blue on Saturday and white out conditions yesterday. Rode a bit on Friday, putzied too long yesterday to get the good wind, and rode quite a bit Sunday.

Rode the new SS Turbine 17m. I didn't think I would like this kite as much as I did. I like the 12 and 14 Rallys and have flow them in almost no wind. Couldn't imagine what the extra cloth would provide cept drag....I was wrong. The thing pulls like a truck in 6-8mph of wind. This morning I was the only one out, the winds were so minimal flags were close to limp, and I could carve all over the place, toeside, unhooked, whatever. Nice. Peter Hill had it out in 12-14mph on Saturday and was getting really nice boosts that lasted forever.

I was convinced to do the Blue Goose experience on Saturday night. OMG what a night. I gotta get out more. that was a new one, for sure. What an interesting scene.

Denis and Todd coordinated a great short course race yesterday. I like the format. Fast and fun.

Lakawa treated everyone to a sunset BBQ on Saturday as the long shadows reached across the lake. Thanks Mike.

Congrats to all the winners. Hopefully Mike Fox will post them soon.

Thanks to Mike Fox for putting all the effort into making these events happen.
Attachments
P1010246.jpg
P1010246.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010230.jpg
P1010230.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010222.jpg
P1010222.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010219.jpg
P1010219.jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010196.jpg
P1010196.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010188.jpg
P1010188.jpg (13.98 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010180.jpg
P1010180.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
P1010174.jpg
P1010174.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
Tighe
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

Fun times! We all had a wonderful weekend and Kayla really enjoyed herself at her first event! It was exciting to atleast cross the start line this year, finally! Nice photo(s) Tighe! A big thanks to everyone who makes this event happen!

FYI: the new pizza joint in town is pretty tasty! A group of us stopped in after awards on Sunday. I hope its still there next year!
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Woody

Post by Woody »

Great Great times! Thanks Fleet 8 & staff for the organization of this awesome yearly event! Loved the wicked meal provided by the VFW - we have gotta do that again!

Epic Ozone sticker placemant :shock: session at the Blue Goose Saturday night. I'll bet the Slingshot rep will bring a bag full of stickers next year! Great bling of beaded necklaces and flashing lights supplied by the always entertaining West Side Boys! Fun times!

We'll see you again this spring in Iowa at the Dam Jam regatta!

:P
Woody
Team World - CAN757
Neil Pryde Team Rider
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Definitely a great weekend, but like the past few years, the credit has go to those who made the trip. Wind forecasts the week before had never been more inconsistent. Friday’s winds definitely peaked shortly after noon when we were trying to setup the registration tent.

Fortunately, we managed to capture the strongest winds of Saturday to pull off the best BIG race of the past three years. Actually, the wind dropped enough right at the scheduled start of the sequence that we abandoned the race, for less than a minute. Right after the abandonment signal, the wind responded quickly and we re-initiated the start sequence.

We had 29 starters and 19 finishers after we shortened to a single lap of 12.7 miles total distance. Chris Krug from New Hampshire finished first overall with a time of 40 minutes, 51 seconds, managing to pass Eric Oppen and Peter Hill, who finished second and third respectively. Barry Peterson was fourth and Bryce Johnson was fifth.

Todd Hanson was the first snowboard finisher we have had in three years with a time of one hour, seven minutes, followed by Roland Rioux, Jon Stroh, John Dickoff and Denis FooKune. Katie Egle was our only woman starter and managed to make it 6 miles, just short of the turnaround.

A special thanks to Todd Hanson for his groomer and terrain park development, Nathan Borer for rails and terrain park, Kelly French and Jeff Olson for registration and start/finish assisted by Todd Newman, Katie and Kayla Egle, Bill Ernst and Chad Dobson for helping with their snowmobiles, and Mike Kratochwill for donating his machine. Great hospitality from the Harbor Inn and Garrison VFW helped negate the loss of the Y-Club.

And Thanks to our Sponsors:
logosfromposter2.jpg
logosfromposter2.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Big thanks to the Fleet 8 volunteers and everyone that helped out. What a great time once again!

It's pretty special how you make new friends and bump into old ones at events like this. In 1987 and 1998 I raced a C-scow in the Inland lakes regattas. I became pretty good friends with Steve Swift from Clear Lakes, IA who was a fierce competitor. Haven’t seen him for many years and bumped into him and his group last weekend to have some good laughs. Great times indeed!

Love it and see you next time!

The Professor 8)
MK

Post by MK »

It takes a community to raise a kiter. Fun to spend time with the community. Thanks for spearheading it Mike.

Sounds like fun was had Saturday night and everyone was seeing double... Is there a link to some of those photos?

Friday night was cool. I should have shown up earlier to share the wind. Next year.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Here is a postable one Mike
Blue Goose "G" by  Woody
Blue Goose "G" by Woody
DSCF7143 (Small).JPG (48.23 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Thanks again to Mike and Fleet 8 for a swell time. Thanks to "Clicker" for the bling, "Woody" for the stickers, and mostly, the Crazy Clear Lake Crew for the hair!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Put a few pictures up on facebook..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 40862c1171

Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I know Peter Hill (#3) was flying the 17M SS Turbine.
I (#4) was on a 14M Mayhem-X.
Does anyone know what Chirs Krug (#1), Eric Oppen (#2), and Bryce Johnson (#5) were flying?

Thanks.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Chris was on a Peter Lynn
Eric was on a SS Machine 17.5m
Bryce was on a Cabrinha Crossbow 16m
Tighe