Warning: Thin Ice on Lake Minnetonka

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Iceman

Warning: Thin Ice on Lake Minnetonka

Post by Iceman »

Two snowmobiles and a backhoe--that's what's fallen victim so far to the warm temps and thin ice on Lake Minnetonka this week. And Hennepin County officials are urging residents to be careful.

Sheriff's deputies say over the weekend, there were three separate reports about equipment that ended up in the water in the Lake Minnetonka area.

Last Saturday, a backhoe fell through thin ice on Halsted's Bay. On Sunday, a snowmobile drove into open water on Six Mile Creek. And another snowmobile drove into open water on St. Alban's Channel. No one was hurt, and the equipment has been fished out of the lake and creek.

The sheriff's office is also warning pet owners to keep their dogs on a leash--they say some pet owners have put themselves in jeopardy chasing after a dog that wandered onto the ice.

The ice is thin and there's open water in the channels of Lake Minnetonka. Authorities also say the Crow River is dangerous and should be avoided due to extremely thin ice. They're advising people to stay off small bodies of water, like rivers, ponds and creeks.

Everybody please be safe out there.

Dave
Mike B

Re: Warning: Thin Ice on Lake Minnetonka

Post by Mike B »

It's a good start for the snowmobiles. Those idiots will fnd open water and thin ice to go through at any time of the winter. The ice is never 100% safe. Travel at your own risk.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
johnz

Post by johnz »

Whadda sloppy mess :evil: :evil:

I was wishing for Spring, this is all my fault. :oops:
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Yes John, agreed it's all your fault...

Now please wish for gobs of new snow and seasonal temps! Actually kite Island was great fun yesterday late afternoon. There is a nice pressure ridge between the Island and the point that is great for jumping in both directions on a SW. The snowcone type snow was really nice in that area also, FYI.
markdbliss

Post by markdbliss »

As a noobie and non-ice fisherman/snowmobiler, etc, how safe are the ice conditions in general now? Still safe to drive a car out to kite island on Minnetonka? Was hoping to get out while the wind speeds are up!

-Mark
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

I would advise not to drive on to lake minnetonka. If at all possible find a spot to launch from where you don't have to drive on.

The lake was basically puddles of water today with some snow here and there. I am sure that it is going to harden up some in the next couple of days and that there is probably still a good amount of ice, but is going to be pretty wet tomorrow still. Tomorrow may be rideable with skis but will be wet and icy. I am wondering if it hardens up if the iceboats will come back out or maybe I will have to break out the hockey skates!

Lots of icehouses off the lake already.....The fisherman are making a exodus because the off and ons are getting bad......
I wouldn't advise newbies to ride tomorrow not to mention driving out. But hey that is just my opinion.
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider