Spring Padre

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

peterrib

Spring Padre

Post by peterrib »

Just confirmed air and lodging for 1st week of April. Also just finished up a new deal with UPS that will cut my shipping by mor than half. Might start shipping the kites as well as the boards. :D W :D Who else is gonna be there?
Peter
scottman

Re: Spring Padre

Post by scottman »

I'll be there from 4-16 through 4-23, RVing it to the KOA for a week, can't wait!!! Anyone elese thinking of staying at the KOA, they have great lodges on the water, don't know what they cost but they look pretty darn nice.
tnautique

Post by tnautique »

What is KOA stand for ?
scottman

Post by scottman »

MK

Post by MK »

I've stopped in with other kiters (Patty and Jim) at this KOA and agree it is very nice. The hot tub is huge:)

I set the dates for 4/7-18 for our annual trip. Glad to see planning developing around this trip. It's always fun and I'm looking forward to warm winds. I'll have to see how many backrolls I can do this trip. I think I may work on some board grabs too...

I'll work on coordinating a bonfire and beach grilling. Smiling as I write this.
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

MK wrote:4/7-18 for our annual trip. .
In.
MK

Post by MK »

:D
JRN

Post by JRN »

I just hope it does NOT stand for Kiters On Acid. That might be too scary for me. I'd be curious to know wnat the lodges rent for. It would be a great spot for easy access to the Jetty. Hope I can manage to escape again this year. Fingers crossed!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
scottman

Post by scottman »

Looks like anywhere from $75.00 up to $228.00 per night, most of the lodges hold minimum 4 people up to 6 people per lodge, so if you devide it up between 4 people $75.00 = $18.75 each and $228.00 = $57.00 each per day depending again at what you get, check out the website, if your sharing a room even at two people it's way cheaper than a hotel any in that area.

So if your just two or 4 people that can stand each other for a week this would be probably one ofthe very bst options.
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

I would really like to check out Padre as I've heard so much about it and what a awesome experience it is. How does this annual trip work? I would only be able to do a five or six day trip so approximately what kind of price am I looking at? and do you guys ship your gear down or pack it well and bring it on the plane. I will sacrifice all my clothes for kiting gear.. :lol:
although I would have to invest in aloe vera then. I saw they have a free bus called "the wave" that stops at all the kiting/surfing spots, how do you guys organize the vehicles, or would I have to rent one on my own or use the public transportation. thanks for any info. Hopefully I can make it down with you.
MK

Post by MK »

I'm getting a house that accomodates 12-14 and would easily be less than $75/night. I'll post the details to welcome travelers once I get them drilled down. Big house + lots of kiters = Big time memories.
scottman

Post by scottman »

Great Idea Mike, I was just throwing the KOA out there because I think a lot of people don't even know about it in reference to the condo's and lodges that you can rent and when you get 4 people in one it can be pretty cheap.
rookie

Post by rookie »

A little info when someone is trying to catch up or leave early in a group trip……There is a free bus from the airport in Harlingen to your door on the island, also theres a bus from the Brownsville airport to port Isabel then a transfer to continue to the island (wave) . There is 3 other campgrounds on the island that are cheaper than the koa. See ya in a few months! Gary ~
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Hey Mike, count me in for this trip. We've met a few times, at the milly gathering and wbl. I "had" the pink,black and white SS T2 that was yours at one time I believe. All I've been doing since I decided to go is look at Padre info, my friends think I need an intervention since I've been sneaking out at weird hours to go "kiting", hiding receipts for kiteboarding gear and showing up for appointments in board shorts and a impact vest. I mean who goes out at midnight to fly a kite? sounds fishy to me...........if I'm not hooked, I'm hooked in.

If anyone is driving down around 4/8-4/15 and has room in their vehicle for a couple of boards and maybe one kite I'd pay cash or beer or owe a favor to them If they would give em a lift. Thanks my emails glemson32@gmail.com
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Sounds like another Minnesotan occupation in April. We haven't confirmed dates yet though it's looking like there may be another crew going down later in the month as well. You guys leave some wind for us.

I'm envious of those who do the whole month.

Anyone else bringing kids down?
Tighe
rookie

Post by rookie »

I have a 2010 Slingshot Darko 135 that Im selling down here in Padre. If someone wants to buy it, they wouldn’t have to take a board down with them And Ill take it back to Minneapolis for you, at the end of April some time. $350. 952-936-035six
scottman

Post by scottman »

I may have some space for peoples gear for the drive down in my RV, being I'm towing my car down wth me I can load the back of the car up I could probably get quite a few kites in and boards on the top car carrier, I'll post more info as the date gets closer, I am leaving MN on 4-15 and will be there 4-16 Saturday, I will be there from 4-16 at the KOA until 4-23 which I will be leaving in the morning. So if you are going o be down there in between these times and don't mind that your gear gets there on a Saturday I may be able to save you some money?