Calhoun Ice

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

wilderclimberdude

Calhoun Ice

Post by wilderclimberdude »

Anyone have any idea what the ice on Calhoun is at? I would like to get out there and ride but don't really want to take an ice water bath.

Dan
JRN

Re: Calhoun Ice

Post by JRN »

IF YOU READ THE POST TITLIED,"ICE THICKNESS," you'll see that Adam posted that an iceboat went through Calhoun on thursday.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

JRN wrote:IF YOU READ THE POST TITLIED,"ICE THICKNESS," you'll see that Adam posted that an iceboat went through Calhoun on thursday.
Someone (me?) needs to go and drill it. Maybe Tuesday I'll check.

/Adam
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

I am gonna sail Calhoun this Saturday 12/18.

8-10 mph west.

A few ice fisherman were out today, fwiw...

/Adam
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

I checked out Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet today 12/18. The ice is thick enough 6-10 inches. The surface is brutal though, wind blown patches of snow with intermittent slush pockets and ice troughs/kickers that would grab your skis or board and through you into a cartwheel or worse. I would say stay to lakes in the snow band to the west of the city till we get some more snow cover. George
Attachments
big enough picture:)
big enough picture:)
IMAG0007.jpg (778.5 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg (771.5 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

Agreed. I dressed but did not realize the horror show until I walked out there. The water pockets are really nasty - even on skiis I broke through 8-12" to the lower black ice. I have no idea how that that layer is so tucked-tail and left.

/Adam
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Hi
I was out on Calhoun late this afternoon (as two kiters were leaving)
I launched about 200 yards from the playground on the east shore..it took me about half hour to get the kite up because I am bad and I managed to tangle
all the lines badly.. but when i was able to finally ride I had fun..wind was light (8/9) and not too steady and probably I was a bit underpowered (7) but given my ability was ok..
agree that the surface was bad.. patches of bare ice, snow, slush but were I stayed (north part of the lake) was rideable (did not see kickers)..
as the sun set and all the city lights went on one by one I enjoyed the view and the ride a lot..left at 5.30 and the wind was letting a bit..
wish I could have stayed more..
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Let's hope the 4-8 inches of snow will alleviate the shitty patches! If there's still some wind left after work, I'm gonna shoot for a flashlight.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Hi

I am thinking of going to Calhoun around 4.30pm today..
wind seems from ESE.. would North beach be a good launch?

thanks
f.
Kiter John

Post by Kiter John »

I'm planning on heading there tonight around 8 or 9 to enjoy the new snow and the full moon. Hopefully the snow today is going to build up over the ice ridges and not just hide them.
wilderclimberdude

Post by wilderclimberdude »

It's on! I'll be hitting up Calhoun around 8:00 myself. Probably head out for a couple post session brews afterwards. Maybe Bryant Lake Bowl, I'd love to have some company.

Dan
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Calhoun is definitely open for business...

Laid some fresh tracks in it this morning - the wind was light but the base is purrrrrrrrrfect!
This space for rent.
markdbliss

Post by markdbliss »

Any good websites out there to monitor the expected wind speed for Calhoun?
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Just got back from a spectacular sesh on Calhoun. Bluebird sky, fresh tracks abound. I rode the center of the lake coast to coast, never hit a patch of ice or ridge. what a good day.
Saw about six other kiters out there. Hope you all had as much fun. cheers
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

Today (Wed.) was also really nice - maybe a dozen or so out there. The next few days do look ugly!

As far as actual wind on Calhoun, I use the NOAA/NWS site. Type in the zip 55410 and you will get MSP airport 6 miles away airport under "current conditions".

Under "More Local WX" you'll get some other regional airports.

http://www.weather.gov/

/Adam
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

I was out there too on wed. What color/kind kite are you flying Adam? I'll swing by next time and introduce myself. I live in uptown, so for quick workday sessions I'm usually on Calhoun or Harriet.

I have a question, if anyone could give a little insight. I was flying my 9m T3 Wednesday and was a little underpowered at times, so I reached down and pulled the trim strap in about 3-5 inches to try to power the kite up a bit. This didn't feel like it made the kite "pull" harder, I just lost a lot of steer-ability because my back steering lines were so long that I had the bar pulled completely in and to turn the kite I had to make exaggerated moves with the bar.
Should I also then move the back lines up a knot or two on the kite pigtails? I don't know If I'm understanding the result with the change of Angle of Attack of the kite, At least when I had the trim strap all the way out I could use the sine pattern and pump the kite to keep me powered.

Looks like with the rain I'll have to get out the hockey skates eh.
anyone know who got snow instead of rain?
johnz

Post by johnz »

Magic,

I think you were de-powering your kite. If the back lines are getting more loose, then you are spilling power from the back of the kite.

- z
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

magicninja wrote:I was out there too on wed. What color/kind kite are you flying Adam? I'll swing by next time and introduce myself. I live in uptown, so for quick workday sessions I'm usually on Calhoun or Harriet.

I have a question, if anyone could give a little insight. I was flying my 9m T3 Wednesday and was a little underpowered at times, so I reached down and pulled the trim strap in about 3-5 inches to try to power the kite up a bit. This didn't feel like it made the kite "pull" harder, I just lost a lot of steer-ability because my back steering lines were so long that I had the bar pulled completely in and to turn the kite I had to make exaggerated moves with the bar.
Should I also then move the back lines up a knot or two on the kite pigtails? I don't know If I'm understanding the result with the change of Angle of Attack of the kite, At least when I had the trim strap all the way out I could use the sine pattern and pump the kite to keep me powered.

Looks like with the rain I'll have to get out the hockey skates eh.
anyone know who got snow instead of rain?
I fly a red/white Slinghot Ranger foil, 12m**2. Plenty of power.

You were decreasing the angle of attack and thus depowering the kite.

I may kite skate Calhoun on Sunday or sail my DN. Decisions....

/Adam
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Yeah I figured, I had the concept assbackwards. I'm still learning how to fine tune the kite to the wind conditions, haven't needed to use the trim strap to much yet. I might try calhoun later today, although I'm a little leary with the wind speeds and glare ice. I'd be smokin with my 9m and iceskates... we'll see. later on.