Ice reports

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

Ice reports

Post by BSMITH »

Anyone have an update on local lakes? Washington (on Saturday) had at least 6" of ice and 6" of powder. Snowmobiles and ATV's were venturing out for the first time. I havn't had time to scout out Tonka yet.
pete168

Re: Ice reports

Post by pete168 »

Anybody hear anything about Forest Lake?

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming. WOW! What a ride!!
markh

Post by markh »

We've been riding the south half of Forest Lake 1 - looks like about 4-5" of snow. There was a bunch of DN Iceboats sailing 1st Lake on Dec 3rd.
pete168

Post by pete168 »

mark,

By lake 1, do you mean the one with lakeside park on it?

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming. WOW! What a ride!!
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Tonka only has 3", with slush & 6" of snow on top. Not adding much to that even with cold temps. Snow is insulating too much. If we don't build some ice by this weekend, I'm afraid the eager snowmobilers will be going through. Safe enough to walk on with extreme caution. All that snow is hiding the thin spots.
Mike

Post by Mike »

On Friday there was a small (about the size of a DN) open hole on Forest straight out from the park about mid lake.
Mike Maloney
markh

Post by markh »

pete168 wrote:mark,

By lake 1, do you mean the one with lakeside park on it?

Pete
Yep - Forest Lake 1 is the one you see from "downtown" Forest Lake and Lakeside Park. I live on the south shore of Lake 1 and there's been a bunch sled and ATV traffic on the lake. That said, always a good idea to be careful ...
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Has anyone checked out Wayzata Bay? I was told it froze a couple days before the main lake. Could be a good option for Tuesday?!? If the ice is reasonably safe you will see ice fishermen out on the bay first. Visual anyone?