Why Padre?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dean Rizer

Why Padre?

Post by Dean Rizer »

2PM yesterday standing at the north flats Chad convinced Mike Kellett and me that the gulf was rideable. After checking the wind from the highest dune we got an 11-17 SSE reading, 3 knts more than the beach, so we decided to go from 6 to the end of the road, about 4 miles. The surf was smooth and breaking on all 3 bars. We finished our first ride about 4PM and decided to do one more as the wind was holding. When we started down we had 20 min before sunset. There was a low gray broken layer of clouds that began to take on a pinkish orange color as we began our ride. As we continued on there was a broken spot in the dunes where we could almost see the bay. At that point the sun appeared, a giant filtered orange ball framed by the low cloud deck and the horizon. Everything, water, clouds, and dunes were washed in soft gold, orange and violet hues. This lasted about 3 minutes. I have never seen a sunset like that. It got dark quickly, Mike and Chad were visable to the north. The wind came up slightly and I could see Chad doing some high floaty back rolls, the bottom of his board catching the last light as he whooped into the night. When we finished there was nothing but huge smiles........ that's why Padre!
tom_latcham

Re: Why Padre?

Post by tom_latcham »

Cool post Dean. Glad you guys are having a great trip. Off to white bear for a SE and above average temps. Keep rubbing it in. I have to live through you.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

thanks for the image Dean. Those post session stoke filled recaps are the essence of this forum. Sunsets are magical down in Padre. I've only once done a downwinder (oceanside) at sunset but it was from the south end of the island. Even though it was cool to have the light stream through the gaps in the buildings, the upper half of the island that you chose I could imagine would be a better choice.

Thanks for sharing.

Down tomorrow.
Tighe
Randy

Post by Randy »

Truly inspirational post. Thanks, Dean, you made me feel like I was there. These are magical moments.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

I had to share that experience with other riders. I was very fortunate to witness that. I'm glad you could ride along.
MK

Post by MK »

Great imagery and writing.

4/4 days riding the stated picturesque waters. I'm suggesting this as additional answers as to why Padre.

Authentic smiles and laughter too. There is a lot of good in this sport.
Perry Pearson

Post by Perry Pearson »

Why Padre, a not so easy answer till the next time you roll out your gear to pump up,find the sand in there and start smiling to yourself about the beach, the breeze,the boosts,the boards.Padre hosts a great kite community and vibe to take care of your needs and keep you on the water. The more I go the more I care to return. It is a welcome wind up or kick-off. Before this last trip I was dreaming about getting there again. Most of those dreams came true in the surfside and Laguna. I left with a lot in the tank,and more to reflect about for the next time. Isn't that an answer to "Why Padre"
Mahalo
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

This truly is a special place! Two nights ago I rode the laguna as a full moon as big and bright as it gets rose on the gulfs horizon. I also witnessed a first for the Island as I rode into the moonlight-Riders from all three of the Island's shops rode together in a trick throwing photo session(Jason from SPI, Laura from XL, Brett, Mark @ Monte fro Air Padre). They put a ramp/jump in and things got interesting. It was fun to ride just upwind of the circuit they were riding in and watch the show! Also fun to see so many MNers out there on the water. I enjoyed the energy of Keith, Randy, Tighe, Chad and all you other MNers. I saw lots of warm smiles out on the water. Diego arrives on Thanksgiving and I am thankful for another friend to ride with. The winds have been great and are looking even better. Thanks Dean for getting this post started. It was fun to see you and Mike! Where are you John Kunkel? I am also thankful for the great progress Patty has been making with her riding! She is geting most of her slide transitions on her strong side and about 50% on her weaker side. She rode two sessions yesterday with the first session lasting a full two hours, awesome!
Jimster, Moon rider!
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Diego

Post by Diego »

Had 5 awesome days. 4 with amazing conditions. Jim picked me up at the airport on Thanksgiving day and by 1PM, I was fully powered on a 4.5, windsurfed for 2 hours and moved to a 9M for two hours of kiting. next day the same but cooler but windier! The warmth returned the day after and the south winds started to blow again.

So.. Why Padre? Because Jim and Patty are there! I'm grateful to know them and very thankful that they are part of this wind community. Thank you guys for your friendship. Your hospitality and generosity made for an unforgettable vacation. Now sharpen up those skis and lets hit the snow!

Diego
Fast-track Team Rider
scottman

Post by scottman »

I can't wait to get there in April, 134 more days until I get to really ride again, just can't wait.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Why Padre? My thoughts aren't quite as deep as Dean's probably because he rides on the coast and I only ride in the waist deep laguna; hence my shallower thoughts. We had so many fun experiences 6.5 months last winter and 2 months this fall. The chance to ride so many days in sucession is awesome. The first two weeks of October not much wind but we found it to be the perfect temp month 85-90 degrees, mmmmmm! We then got 12 days of riding between Oct 14-31st. Patty rode 22 days in November (10 windsurfing/12 kiting) and I know we skipped some of the light wind days that were rid-able; it really is the month for wind. The 10 windsurfing days were winds mid 20mph-40mphish, Sweeeeeeeeeeet! There were only 4 light wind days in those 22 where a person needed their big kite.On the Spring side of things, the end of March and the month of April there was good wind. The first part of May was pathetic, and unfortunately that is when they had the Kite Roundup. I wanted to demo some new stuff and watch the pros but the wind didn't cooperate. Patty and I feel truly blessed to have been able to travel and play for such an extended time while having the youth to really enjoy it. Next time I'll tell you, "Why Hood River"; however, that will take a little more ink!!!!
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939