Rant: Who's running Midwest's Kite department?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tumblemonster

Rant: Who's running Midwest's Kite department?

Post by tumblemonster »

Hey guys, I have a conundrum: I'm ready to buy 2 new kites and possibly a board, and the local dealer doesn't seem to want the sale... :?

I've sent 3 separate e-mails and made 2 calls during business hours. I received a reply to my first e-mail 5 days later that said "we'll look into prices and get back to you." When I called I was first asked to call back later and when I did I left a message and phone number. I haven't heard anything since.

Anyone know what's going on over there? This is really frustrating. I'm all about supporting local dealers and have gone out of my way to do so (I also purchased 4 kites in one go from midwest 18 months ago, and a board previous), but at this point I'm done and going elsewhere.
scottman

Re: Rant: Who's running Midwest's Kite department?

Post by scottman »

Call Larry at the Scuba Center, he will hook you up, he is at 612-925-4818, whatever he does not have there he can get for you and at a lower price than most other places.
rookie

Post by rookie »

Try Bob.....He sells all the brands, will give you a great deal, and no tax on top of it!

Robert Cook
Kite-Riders, LLC
2944 Ivanhoe Glen
Madison, WI 53711
608-273-1817 ph
608-273-1813 fax
608-358-0514 cell
bob@kiteridersllc.com
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

sorry you had that experience Jason. Fortunately and unfortunately Midwest's kite department is run by an actual kiter. He just returned from an amazing two week adventure hitting up all the spots along the south side of Lake Superior. He knows the gear cause he rides the gear, and unfortunately, he's only one in a staff of nearly 50 the majority of which have so many other outdoor passions they haven't yet taken up kiting. I have a suspicion that your emails were sitting in his inbox while he was away.

Anyway if you're not too disillusioned by this past experience, I'd suggest trying again. I assume you're contacting Peter directly. He can give you the scope on the new gear Better yet find a time to meet up with him down there and check out the gear. They have more gear in stock than anyone in the area.

Bob and Larry can also hook you up. Both are good guys. Bob is also an extremely talented rider, and is constantly trying new gear from many manufacturers.

If you're looking at upgrading your SS quiver and have some questions, feel free to give me or any of the local riders a shout. We also have a inhouse Rep at Slingshot, Chris Schey, who is available to give you the ins and outs of the new gear.

Kiteboarding isn't the main business of any of our local retailers. That is how they stay afloat. Kiteboarding just isn't a big enough business yet for a kite-only store to survive. Could they do better? Definitely. I know each of them are doing their best to support the riding community here in Minnesota.

Thanks for trying to keep it local.
Tighe
peternoren

Post by peternoren »

Hi Jason, I had answered your inquiry via email back about a month ago. I'm sorry you didn't get it. I hadn't heard from you after that email but apparently you called and I never got the message. I do have voicemail at ext 119. I will forward my response and quote back to you again. Email if there is anything else I can do.

Peter
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

Tighe thanks for the call.

Peter thanks for the e-mail reply I'm sorry I missed it the first time. Def waiting for the 2011 board, let me know when it's there.

Sorry for the rant everyone, and thanks for the help!