I'm writing this year off

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dave Schneider

I'm writing this year off

Post by Dave Schneider »

I'm just gonna say it. My timing this year absolutely sucks. :cry: Another day where I hit the water just as the wind began to drop off. Since I'm usually pressed for time, with work and family commitments constantly squeezing me, I generally don't re-rig. Today I schlogged for 15-20 minutes and came back in for a bigger board. Still schlogged for another 15 minutes. Then, just as the wind kicks in, I take off like a rocket and after about 50 feet, I hit a rock in the shallow water of Medicine Lake and shear the weed fin clean off the board. :x Insult to injury. Try one more time with the smaller board, but to no avail. Come in, start to de-rig, and the wind kicks in. It's currently blowing 15-30.

Seems like most of this year has been this way. Back in July lost the bottom of a mast on WBL while rigging the beginner stuff for my wife. Several other sessions have been busts, and then there was the 8 week lull, where I was between clients and could have sailed most any day. Just as I get a new client 2.5 weeks ago, the winds kick in and I've missed most of the good days.

Here's hoping that 2004 is windy as hell in this state. For now, I think it might be time to hibernate, lest I break/lose any more gear (or my head.)

Hope you all got some today, and it was better than mine!
Dave Schneider
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Jeez Dave two "unhappy" posts (mine and yours obviously) on Lakawa in a row :shock: I think that's a record. This year has been tough for me as well but keep the faith. I've been at this sport for 17 years and I'm not gonna give up now! We still have October, November and just maybe a little bit of December.
aver0031

Can relate

Post by aver0031 »

Dave,
I can totally relate to your post. After been extremelly buzy at work and a new born, having to miss last worm sailing day last Wednesday I finnaly got out on Medicine lake around 1 pm. My smallest sail is 6.6 but it is blowing like 25 knts. So downhauls it as much as I can and get out there. I was extremelly overpowered, but finally manage to lock in and run. However, after abour 30 feet I hear a ckick and get catapulted and see that my board does not have a fin any more. All pissed I get out and start packing. Five min later Rich comes out with the buckle completelly ripped out of his harness. So even though it was increadible wind today, many people suffered but we should not forget all the fun we had on the prev session.