Newbie tensions

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

Newbie tensions

Post by MK »

Looks like we are gaining interest in the sport which is great and a little concerning. Great to have an opportunity to share a fantastic past time and grow a truly fun lifetime sport. One of our local youngsters Adam from Corcoran just turned 15 and was hucking it up on a 14M in 8mph wind....This sport at times has me thinking like a wrestler and considering dropping weight. For those of you who know me realize this isn't a good option since I work to maintain and try to gain wieght. My 2-4 hr sessions riding don't help. Dorian is the age leader at 74! He's so dialed, efficient and independant you are simply awed. If I'm excluding others who exceed these age parameters chime in and give them props. I know my 11 yr old twin daughters are interested in learning too but I'm developing their board skills in the snow and behind the boat for now and having them fly the trainer. They'll connect the two disciplines soon.

To the tensions and concerning part. We can all relate to trying to Do It Yourself (DIY). Especially the guys. Unfortunately the stats are stacked against our gender when it comes to over selling our ability. For example, when the two genders are polled in swimming ability men tend to oversell thier ability yet the incidents in drowning is greater for men http://www.health.state.mn.us/injury/be ... Best=drown. This is slightly dated, 2004, but I doubt our gender has evolved significantly.

Cost is another reason why newbies put themselves and, without fully realizing it, others at risk. The strata of incomes involved in the sport appears to cover all classes. Meaning it is affordable to get into for all but requires some penny pinching for some. Know we, the community, relate and understand. Trying to juggle which gear and how much to get can be overwhelming and at some point some choose to simply cut corners.

How long it takes to learn the sport is another undefinable question to answer which varies by person. If you bring wind experience like sailing and board skills into the equation your learning curve will likely be shorter than someone who has neither and is simply gobsmacked by the sport.

We, the community, those in this forum who post or observe, and on the beaches, applaud your interest in getting into the sport. It is fun to see the progression, experience the success and share the smiles/stoke. We truly are a supportive community with your interests in mind. Even if you are the one who has kept us on edge by trying to simply throw up a kite beachside without much education, we still want to see you succeed. A few in this forum are eager to sell you gear and lessons (like me). You can and will learn how to kite like you see on the vidoes, in magazines and see right here on some of our lakes.

Please view this as an invitation to join us. If you have been spoken to at a launch site or felt a cold shoulder be aware we are looking after your best interest which in turn is in our best interest. Make sense?

Here's a poignant link "rookie" shared in a recent post which couples with some conversatios I have had, witnessed, and now addressing. http://www.kitemare.com/Save%20our%20Sport!.htm

If you view this as a ploy for me to build business know that I was a kiter for 6 years prior to buying this company and have an incurrable interest. Besides, we all benefit whether it is on a business level, securing access or making a new friend.

We are at the beginnig of the summer, beaches are now opened, the water is warming and the sun feels great. Join us safely so we can expand our relationships and develop our talents.
Reds

Re: Newbie tensions

Post by Reds »

Well put Mike...All ARE welcome to this sport...This sport Is Exploding in numbers and interest yet there are no real laws or governing body over we the Happy Few (and growing)...so this forum acts as a guiding light to keep the sport in good graces...We Kiters work hard to put a happy face on our sport so as not to offend or frieghten the rest of the public...So, Always feel free to ask for help and advice from any kiter... Though this may seem like an individual sport...We are actually a Team and we all look out for eachother...GO TEAM! Tight Lines!
Patrick
JRN

Post by JRN »

Thanks for the back-up Mike & Pat. Sorry if any of you feel I come on too strong when it comes to safe kiting. I applaud your efforts to be inclusive & that is great, but I also have some personal motivation to see that the launches near my neighborhood stay open to kiting. I think it is up to ALL of us to speak up when we see others behaving in ways that could get kiting banned. I understand that the same advanced kiter who was riding right through the middle of groups of swimmers last week, was taken aside and spoken with for doing the same thing earlier in the week, & STILL continues to do the same darn thing. I do not understand the motivation, perhaps it is defiance, but we need to come up with some solutions or suggestions. Any thoughts? This is a forum to discuss ideas, so let's use it for that.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
jeffwieb

Post by jeffwieb »

Maybe a very stern talk and then a face full of beach. Sometimes that's the only way to learn a cocky little mofo. He might have to learn the hard way as they say. I have had my share of learning the hard way and it works. I say 3 strike rule is in effect, then it's the hard way :twisted:
JRN

Post by JRN »

I KNOW YOU'RE KIDDING ABOUT THE FACEFUL OF BEACH! I was talking about NON-VIOLENT ways of informing miscreants. I do like the 3 strikes idea, but worry that we can't wait that long. Thanks for the input.
Last edited by JRN on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING:
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I'm not going to touch this one, though I am glad others are addressing it. I did want to recount a situation I observed at Ramsey just to point out the severity of the situation. A certain individual, who was riding and "going off" quite close to shore and just upwind of children in the water, put his kite down and the kite got pulled (directly downwind of him) up onto the beach, families scrambled grabbed their small children, lawn chairs etc etc. Luckily there wasn't a huge amount of wind. If there was, things would have happened faster, and things could have gone real bad real quick. I did talk to him afterward. I don't know if he has continued such behavior.

I'm glad this issue is being addressed
Tighe
Reds

Post by Reds »

Regarding repeat offenders...If someone persists doing crazy stuff right onshore etc..Perhaps we could get a commitee of three of us to call this person out intervention style and see if that helps get the point across...for the rest of the folks I think a friendly informational reminder will be enough to get them to conform...Again safety and access are paramount here. Tight Lines!
Patrick
JRN

Post by JRN »

I NEED TO LEARN! Jeff wrote "Faceful of BEACH" , but I like Red's idea, better. Anyone else? We need a plan of action.
Last edited by JRN on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
rookie

Post by rookie »

So would this include when Norman comes to the beach dressed inappropriately? and sporting a hula hoop? We can intervene? Dont think I could touch that!!
Last edited by rookie on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JRN

Post by JRN »

Just because?
WARNING:
raphael

Post by raphael »

how do we reply to peoples ads on the classifieds, I'd like to buy some peoples gear but I have no way of getting ahold of them

thanks
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Can't reply to classifieds, so people posting items for sale need to be sure and put their contact info in the posting...

Mark