Long Live Foils!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike W

Long Live Foils!

Post by Mike W »

I am really excited about the Flysurfer Warrior 16.5 foil I just bought. From everything I have read, it seems to be the ultimate light air kite to have. I had considered a 20+m inflatable, but I now think a big foil is the way to go in light air.

I just rolled this monster out on the grass. Very impressive! Excellent workmanship. I should be overpowered in 10mph on snow. HeeeHaaa!

More after I fly it.......
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Even though I love my bladder kites, I am psyched to try out these new foils as well. Larry got some Flysurfer Psychos in. They are 4 line sheetable like the tube kites. They're know for huge, long airtime, on ice and water. People are also claiming they get a 15mph range out of each kite size....Unheard of! He's got a 15m that, like your 16, will most likely be powered up in 10mph. It'll be fun to compare these side by side. Look for Alex boosting big on these. He's got the demo kites to check them out.

If you want the lightest wind machine, I've heard the 16m Flysurfer Mastair is supposed to be the hands down winner. Not as high performance as the Warrior or Psycho, though it's a real Mack Truck.

tighe
Tighe
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Good on Alex!

Now I can have someone to compare setups and impressions with. I hear that Para pilots will feel right at home on the Psycho. I'm still afraid to take mine out on skates.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

just got off the phone with Alex. He had the 15m Psych out last night. Said he got going about 20mph....in 2-3 mph of wind...yes 2-3mph. Said the breeze wasn't even enough to inflate the kite...had to run to inflate. If this is the lower limit of kites, there will be very few days that aren't kitable. Might actually be able to just go when you want, versus when the wind calls. cool
Tighe
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I concur that the thing makes it own wind! I'll try mine on skates this weekend.
Mike W

Folied

Post by Mike W »

I just flew the 16.5 Warrior at Fort Snelling. The wind readings were 7mph when I left and 7mph when I returned home. It is a bit tricky getting this beast in the air in such light wind, but doable. As expected, the kite generates a lot of power in a sweep. I was getting pulled around quite a bit. It turns more quickly than I expected. I would not call it agile, but this kite spins around well for its size. The sheeting system really works. Sheeting in all the way accellerates turns considerably.

What most impressed me about the kite is its stability. It will sit right overhead in light, marginal wind. It has no tendency to want to collapse or fold up at the edge of the window, which makes it much easier to fly than the Mosquito Ks Pro.

I am skeptical of claims about flying ripping in 2-3mph, but I could see getting some power on skates in 5mph. I think claims about kiteboarding in 5knots with this kite, like many kitesurfing/windsurfing claims, are exaggerated. I would say that it will be fun on the water in 10mph, and a handful on skis in that wind. Jumps should be low, but long. Very impressive overall, but nothing miraculous. It will increase my kitable days by quite a bit all year.
Barry P

Me to!

Post by Barry P »

Hey Mike, I just bought a Flysurfer 9M Warrior from the same guy you got your 16M from.

I am so charged!!

This is almost double the size of the one and only kite I used last year on the snow. I'm not only psyched about the range and power possibilities, but also Flysurfer's emphasis on control and safety (http://www.flysurfer.de/sicherheit-eng.htm). I like their design approach.

I'll be looking forward to more reports by Eric, Alex, and Mike for reports and tips on using these cool kites. Yahoo! :D
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Good move, Barry! That should be a great kite. I just replaced the chicken loop/pulley setup because I think it is a bit clumsy. We can compare notes next time I see you.

Your point about safety is well taken. I think these foils are safer to fly than inflatables both in the water and on snow.