Superior Looks Good Friday - Sat...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Kevinousdigian

Superior Looks Good Friday - Sat...

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Big low coming up from south that should set up super NE winds and waves Friday and even bigger Saturday.
Kevin Ousdigian
John Rangel

Re: Superior Looks Good Friday - Sat...

Post by John Rangel »

You can count me in fo sho
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

I'm in too.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Looks like that low may be slowing down so it will be a classic Duluth setup Sat and Sunday and it also looks like Stroh has a shot of some wind up there tomorrow.
KO
Kevin Ousdigian
Randy

Post by Randy »

If I could, I'd head up there today and tomorrow. Kevin, hoping your forecast holds for the weekend when I've got a window.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

It’s looking good! I will be trying to get out for at least a few hours every day that it’s windy, I am thinking of launching from barkers if I go out tomorrow… get my flatwater needs satisfied while the waves build! :D

Jon
Jon Stroh
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

jon, where exactly?
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Wow! It just went from light south winds and 70 degrees to NE 20g26 and 45 degrees in a matter of minutes… crazy how things work up here! Unfortunately I can’t get out today… accounting test tomorrow… but will be looking to celebrate afterwards!

According to Jeff there is a bigger sandbar in front of the whaleback side of the island… but if the waves are looking good I might just stick to park point… I also have to go where Brian is planning to go since I am using his board and he might want it back when he gets off of work.

I will be done with school at 2 so I should be somewhere by 2:15!

this has to be the flatest water I have ever seen in a NE wind gusting to 26 Knots on the mother! :shock:
netcam.jpg
netcam.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Jon Stroh
JAE

Post by JAE »

I've got a meeting in Sandstone tonight at 7, so I might as well take the afternoon off and stop by duluth. It looks like its good up there now. I'm shooting for 22nd street about 1:00.

jeff
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Looks good out there, waves at the offshore buoy (45006) are at 4.7 feet! With plenty of room to build before they get here! Only crappy part is the temp @ 37 degrees, and the sun seems to be hiding… :(
I’m getting out of school early today, I will be at 22nd st by 1:15
Jon Stroh
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Great day today! Nice meetin' you Jeff, its awesome that there was someone other than me and jon today, brian showed up later. Winds are up so far for Sat. and ill be out there around eleven (22nd probably). Despite the small parking space, I hope some more people can make it up!
JAE

Post by JAE »

Great meeting you too Dave. It was great out there. The waves were crazy. Might make it back over the weekend, looks like the wind will be good again - might even be a little warmer.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LS/144.html
Looks good Sunday too. Cheap lodging may be nessisary.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Superior definitely looks good tomorrow afternoon. Where are people riding out of now? I thought I heard Tot lot is no longer the spot...
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

22nd street
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Duluth it is. Fixing my drysuit holes tonight!
John Rangel

Post by John Rangel »

Heading out now for kiting and camping. Hope to see some other kiters out there. :shock:
Randy

Post by Randy »

Hey, John...nice to meet you. You definitely got a 'go for it' attitude. Let me know how your day went. You looked pretty wound up when I left. Brian, Tim, John and I had a blustery Saturday, but Mother rewarded us all on and off through the day. We had a great meal at Fitgers and went off to our sleeping spots. I got rocked at 22nd st. around 3 and woke at 5 to 23-28 wind. We left John at 11pm as he headed off to camp in the 42 degree weather and rain...damn, to be young like that again. He showed up at Tot Lot shortly after six I think.
Anyway, hit Tot Lot at 5:30 and was amazed at the number of cars that came for the sunrise. Wound 5m, brilliant pink to orange sky, and monster terrain...one of my most cherished Dawn Patrols...fully spent by 7, home by 10 for a memorial service.
It felt like Mother was making us earn her full display as she lit up today. Looking at the hourly reports, there should be some good stories. Brian? Tim? John? Duluth locals? Others? How did the rest of the day go?
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
drknap

Post by drknap »

Mike W and I came up early for a dawn patrol. We were on the water shortly after 9 am. We intially rigged too big and were blown of on our 9 and 10 meter kites. We rigged down to 7 meter kites and while nicely dialed enjoyed some monster waves for the rest of the morning. I'd have the say some of the biggest walls, if not the biggest, the mother has served up for me. Several times I found myself running from huge walls thay were starting to break way out in the swells, past the typical shore break, and then rolled all the way in. Some nice surf to be sure. It is always so satisfying to play with the Mother!
Kurt
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Big waves never get old! It was an amazing day today! My best guess is that the waves were 6-10 ft today… The wave buoy (~120 miles up wind) reported a peak at 7ft around 1pm!

It was nice seeing so many familiar faces up here! Big thank to Denis, Erik, Brian and Jeff for letting me take your gear for a spin today! I probably had the most fun on the 8m RPM while my body was still fresh! I was amazed at how little bar pressure it had but it was still very responsive and you always knew where it was… definitely a great kite! For wave riding I think Erik’s Liquid force havoc took the cake, when you catch a wave you can leave the kite parked and it will float down wind with you very nicely, there wasn’t a single time that thought the kite was going to fall out of the sky… with the nemesis I always had to down loop it to keep it flying when I caught a wave. I still like the nemesis for anything outside of wave riding, but I think it is time for me to get a good small wave kite for those BIG days on the mother… I am already searching for one to add to my quiver!

Looks like some more NE wind for the next few days… then SE, which will either be NE or nothing. I tore an ankle seal out of my dry today… so I am going to have to get by with some duct tape for a while.

Jon
Jon Stroh