Thoughts from a new rider - by Patty Hoben

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JimPat

Thoughts from a new rider - by Patty Hoben

Post by JimPat »

In response to Steve B's suggestion, I'll post my thoughts on learning to kite. First of all, I've heard it is easier to learn on snow, so that is probably the best way to learn to fly the kite (although that is not the route I am taking). I can't think of a better place to learn than SPI, since the shallow water and endless shoreline provides a great place for beginners (and now that the water and air temps are warm, its even better!) First, taking lessons is a "must" since there is so much to learn-(especially in the area of safety), that you don't want to just rely on stuff you pick up from other kiters. When Jim took a lesson from Tighe, he had the radio helmet which he said worked really well. We went against most peoples' advice and Jim, (my husband), is teaching me. So far its going well! He is riding our jetski so he can stay close and give me instruction as am riding. Second, having the right board and kite for the conditions is also "key". I flew a trainer kite a couple of times, then a 7 meter in the shallow water (just to get the feel for a real kite), then I went out and body dragged for @ 1 hour which gave me a good feel for signing the kite etc. I tried riding at the end of the body dragging, however, the board was tough to ride (later, Jim realized it was not a good beginner board - too squirrely). The next time I went out, Dean Rizer was nice enough to offer his Spleene 141 Session which was perfect for me! I had nice steady wind, smooth water and the right board and kite, so I had a great experience. I rode farther than I expected (both ways)! It was a blast and I couldn't wait to do it again! A few days later, I went when it was gusty and wavy which made it more difficult to handle the kite-kept going too fast and bouncing on the waves. I got slammed several times and even got my foot caught in the bar lines which freaked me out. I realized then, that I wasn't confident in what safety feature I should pull first, so we reviewed that again. Jim also reminded me to fall backwards (away from lines and kite)! Today we went out again and was able to work on water starts a lot because it was gusty which made it quite challenging and I had a lot of crashes. To reiterate, it really helps to have steady winds and low chop. I hope this has been helpful to both experienced riders (to refresh your memory) and newbies to the sport. I'll continue to post more thoughts as I gain more experience. PS-I'm glad I had a helmet and impact vest on-some of the crashes were pretty hard! A kiter knife also adds a bit of comfort-mine is attached to my bar so it's easy to access.
Ride on!
Patty
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
jeff1

Re: Thoughts from a new rider - by Patty Hoben

Post by jeff1 »

Sounds like your getting some good experience. keep up the good work, it won't be long and you will be riding in gusty conditions comfortably. It's good to hear about your success, and that you are progressing safely.

Look forward to riding with you guys again. :)
DFD TEAM RIDER (team of one) + JRN honorary member
steveb

Post by steveb »

Always handy to have a knife to hand when you want to kill your husband.... :lol:
Nice write up Patty, did Dean tell you it was a spleene board that really got him going at the beginning.
What are you finding the toughest thing? What's you favourite thing?
See you guys in one week, yea.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Great observations Patty!

I think a Session or a Door can make all the difference as Steveb says also. A Door board turns a water start into a no brainer, almost like being on snow.

My son at 8 yrs old water started on a Session at Malmo. First time up he road 400 ft. The board was a non-issue. He did train on snow first but after that he was on the same progression as you.

Doors are available in other brands besides Spleene now, I can't keep track, but the concept is the same...big & square!

I'm always looking for tips to get my kids out. Epic has now released a kid specific kite which might make a big difference for the youngstars. The bar travel on a regular 7-12m kite is usually twice the span of the average 10 yr old kid.

You'll be pro after a couple of weeks on the Laguna Madre!!! Nothing better for getting the hang of it!!
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Thanks for all the encouraging words! I forgot to mention that we shortened my leash since it kept getting tangled in my legs and bar. This made my latest session a lot less frustrating. We were also advised by a female rider that it helps to make the chicken loop smaller to bring the bar closer since my reach is much shorter than most guys' (this would be helpful for young kids too). Jim is working on that one.
Patty
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
JanMarie

Post by JanMarie »

Patty, please let me know when Jim succeeds in getting a smaller chicken loop. I am convinced that I could get up on the board if I could only reach the bar. BTW, I am going to SPI on April 19th (I know, that is when everyone else is leaving--oh well). I'm staying in Weslaco TX and taking day trips now and then to SPI. I hope to see you, although we only met once and I don't know if I will recognize you. I'll be the one not riding on a board.
Janarie
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Hey Janmarie, I don't know that kind of bar you have, but the newer slingshot bars have the ability to adjust your chicken loop length to adjust to your shorter arms. Anna has the same problem, and I made her bar have a chicken loop that is about two inches long. I hardly fits the hook on her harness. It has definitely helped her with the ability to trim the kite correctly.

When you get to Padre, look at the slingshot bars, and note the screws on the side of the chicken loop. All you need to shorten the chicken loop is to take out those screws, push the chicken loop line through the plastic section until it is the length your like, and put back in the screws. Then you can cut off the excess. You may even be able to buy just the chicken loop assembly from one of the stores and augment your existing bar with this system. It may take a little engineering to get keep the line lengths correct. The kite stores in Padre have a great selection of those parts. Bring them the bar and they can help you augment it to your tastes. It is very important to have a bar set up to you tastes.

Good Luck in Padre, it should help you progress to that point of riding, instead of dragging. Have fun (I know, it's hard to have fun when your holding onto a big powerful kite in high winds with 60 miles of shallow water as your playground, but try)
Eric
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Jan Marie- look for us at the North Flats in our black Ford F150 with MN plates. We have slingshot bars so Jim can show you what you need to do. Great explanation Eric-thanks!
Yesterday I had a couple of really good sessions after Steve and Nancy B. gave me some pointers on riding the board.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
scottman

Post by scottman »

I have alos noticed that would help probably would be a seat harness V.S a waist harness, I don't know what you use but a seat harness will keep the bar low and shorten the length to the bar considerably being the bar wont ride up your waist until it's actaully around your chest almost. I went to a Nitro Seat harness 6 years ago and have never went back to the waist it's so much easier on your back and the bar is much closer so the throw for the depower is easy. Another plus to the nitro short seat harness is that it delivers the power of the kite directly to your legs so you can really hold an edge much easier in high winds, it's worth a try if you have never used on before.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Thanks for the tip on the seat harness Scott. I wasn't aware of the benefits of using one. I'll have to check it out.
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939