Annual Kite Crossing! 3/6 Garrison, Lake Millacs

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Michael F

Annual Kite Crossing! 3/6 Garrison, Lake Millacs

Post by Michael F »

The sixth annual Mille Lacs Kite Crossing is once again shaping up to be one of the biggest and most dynamic snowkite events in the country. Only two years ago, the Kite Crossing became the first kiting event to surpass 100 registrants. With many of the fastest snowkiters in the world being from the local community, the challenge continues to draw from across the country. But as last year proved, comradery can be an equal contributor.

If you have not received the Notice of Challenge, contact us at Fleet-8@juno.com. It should provide all the necessary information. We will be accepting electronic registration by e-mail. If you have registered for a Fleet 8 event in the past two years and nothing has changed, just provide your name, category, shirt size and preferred e-mail address for receiving Updates. You can pay by Paypal by going to the Fleet 8 website. The PayPal button is a Donate button and has a fixed amount of $30 until midnite Monday, the 1st, then the $40 late fee goes into effect. You can find all this by scrolling down the page at http://fleet8.com/news/ Guest banquet fees can be paid at the site.

Riders of all levels are encouraged to attend. Come out, meet riders from around the area, share the stoke, check out some new gear and learn some new moves. We would also like to thank our hosts at the Y-Club and around Garrison as well as our loyal sponsors.

As always, volunteer help is appreciated. Additional snowmobiles may be needed, so if you are not ready for the challenge and/or have friends with machines, please contact us. We would also appreciate help with site setup as well as terrain park development. Even if you want to participate, or have a guest that would like to contribute, contact us at Fleet-8@juno.com. Let us know of your projected arrival and your interest of contribution.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
Stroh

Re: Three Weeks to the Kite Crossing!

Post by Stroh »

Can’t wait for the crossing! I am so out of shape I don’t know if I will be able to complete the course! But I will sure try!

Beginners, there is no shame in doing the short course or needing a rescue! Just come and try, I guarantee a great time that you will remember forever!

Please be advised:
If you’re considering going to the crossing… just sign up! It’s only $30! If we end up with diminishing attendance the event will not continue forever. Even if there is no wind it’s still a great time!

Put yourself in mikes shoes, how do you plan for an event where 50 people show up with a bad forecast and 150 with a good one? I think we owe it to fleet 8 (for their dedication to our enjoyment) to commit to showing up regardless of what the weatherman says!

I am guilty of waiting till Friday for the wind forecast… but I’m changing my ways! Just signed up and can’t wait to see everybody… and party at the goose/y-club! I regret missing the last 2 crossings, and won’t be missing this one!

THERE ARE ONLY 10 ROOMS LEFT AT THE GARRISON INN… THEY MIGHT BE GONE BY TOMORROW!

Jon
Jon Stroh
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I just got signed up too! Should be great fun.

I'll be camping outside if we want to get a tent/rv city going in garrison.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
shymac

Post by shymac »

I'm IN! :mrgreen:
In-house Slingshot Rep MN/SW
Weapons for the uprising! http://www.SLINGSHOTSPORTS.com

Get up to date ya' heard before it hits mainstream...
http://twitter.com/Slingshot_RH
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

very stoked! yes--the x-ing is always a blast even if the weather doesnt deliver. it seems like every year brings great memories on and off the ice. "remember last year at the crossing when..."

i just booked a room at the inn tonight...very excited they let me come back after last year's toilet incident. according to the lady working "they are running out rooms"-->3 just booked tonight.

adam t.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Well said Stroh.

Looking forward to it. I'm bringing the grill. Schey's bringing all the new toys.

should be gooood
Tighe
Woody

Post by Woody »

Should change the subject on this to "2 weeks til the Crossing"!

Can't wait to share the stoke with you all on the lake, in the hot tub or at the Goose. Wind, no wind, it's all good! The Crossing is way more than just a 'competition'. The comaraderie of the whole group is what makes this event so special. Bring a friend and introduce them to the fun, sticker happy wind riding community of snowkiters!

Woody :P
Woody
Team World - CAN757
Neil Pryde Team Rider
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I think that Mike would have to change that... either Mike for that matter. I will tell Mike Fox he should change it!

can't wait to try some new gear... how bout you guys make me an honorary slingslut for the race??

Jon
Jon Stroh
MK

Re: Two Weeks to the Kite Crossing!

Post by MK »

Title line is updated!

Just spoke with MF today and his gears are turning in prep for the event.

We had a corporate event Wednesday up on Milly and featured kiting for the group of finance/bank professionals. They all had a great time and we were surprised at how well it came together. Great group. Fantastic running into Matt G who was part of their group. I didn't have to twist his arm to get out and ride.

The wind was the big concern from scheduling it a few months out but mother nature didn't deny us. Milly had 8-9 mph broadcasted wind speeds but with the warm day and clear skies we got a thermal effect that made for really enjoyable kiting. The snow was a little packed but otherwise fantastic conditions.
Tighe

Re: Two Weeks to the Kite Crossing! 3/6 Garrison, Lake Millacs

Post by Tighe »

Stroh it would be an honor to have you ride a spiky ball, during the event or across the lake. I'll do my best to hook you up.
Tighe
Mattchew

Post by Mattchew »

I'm getting a redirect every time I try to get to the fleet site? Anyone else running into trouble? I thought I read on past posts of this problem but I don't know if it got resolved.

Excited for the crossing, as people have said the weather will play with our hearts but the company is always right on.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I had the same problem.... but when I switched computers it worked fine! not sure if it was my settings or what...

I think you could mail a check to mike... his address is on the registration form.
Jon Stroh
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'm getting it here at work too. Site might have been hacked.

Check this out for fixing it!
http://ocaoimh.ie/did-your-wordpress-site-get-hacked/

http://ocaoimh.ie/exploit-scanner/
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
Denis

Post by Denis »

Yep. Looks like there is a suspicious piece of javascript that found its way on some of the fleet8 pages. I'd recommend turning off javascript on your browser if you want to visit the link above. Don't forget to turn javascript back on after you're done, otherwise things like gmail or google maps will break.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Oh yeah i see what you mean Denis.... The page source shows this

</head><script language=javascript>document.write(unescape( '%3C%73 ...whole bunch of obuscated junk... )</script>

Hopefully someone can get that fixed
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
Bryce

Re: Annual Kite Crossing! 3/6 Garrison, Lake Millacs

Post by Bryce »

Hey everyone! Mike got it all fixed up if you guys want to sign up now.
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Where do we park?
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

There are two access points right in Garrison. There is usually a banner for the event up on the road. You should be able to see where to park from the road. Usually an area is plowed. Check in with the event organizers, found in the tent. They most likely will have a preferred layout to the venue to accomodate riders, lessons, vendors etc. It may change daily due to the wind. Main thing is to keep a safe area for lessons and demos.

ride on
Tighe
MK

Post by MK »

On the way!

Wind is at my back.
MK

Post by MK »

Great event, wonderful weekend. I'm tired and need to clean my car.

I did get a pair of skis handed to me. They were left yesterday (Saturday). Anybody missing skis?

Next event, Padre.