WEEKEND RIDES

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

dtownkiter

WEEKEND RIDES

Post by dtownkiter »

what is in store for the weekend? it looks like great temps but where is the wind at? up north looks a little better but that is just based off noaa. has anyone rode mille lacs at all? conditions?

lets hope for some wind. nothing beats winter riding when it is 35 and windy!
mdh01

Re: WEEKEND RIDES

Post by mdh01 »

I'm thinking Faribault - Cannon lake? Looks like some wind on Saturday and sounded like the snow was good last week.

Mark
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Had a great session on Cannon Tuesday afternoon. The snow is no longer fluffy soft but is a bit more set up. Never carved down to the ice, and I was carving pretty hard. I'd say the hard pack is 8-10"

Ill probably head that way for a session on Sat. afternoon. Will keep my eyes on it. SW is THE direction for Cannon.
Tighe
hyperontherock

Post by hyperontherock »

looks like the wind will be out of the SW at 8-12, where is the best place close to the twin cities to go on saturday to kite?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'll be up in the northern cities this weekend. WBL or turtle or rice on Sat probably. We'll narrow that down tomorrow!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
MK

Post by MK »

I'm thinking Cannon right now for the students Saturday. I'll make a decision later tonight.

Consider coming out and doing some fly-by's, very inspiring for the wide-eyed newbies. I like to see your skills too and nothiing beats an impromptu swarm of kiters. Anybody bringing a band and grill?
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Great! I'll be there....and will eat whatever Bryce is grilling :lol:

Mark
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

Sure, I'll plan to be there tomorrow for the Cannon mess. (Er, wait. That was on WCCO many years ago.) It looks like the best wind is going to be around midday, but I'm not going to promise any definite time that I'll be down there. It depends on whether I can drag myself out of bed tomorrow morning.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Just chatted with Bryce, we are going to have a slider out on Turtle or WBL, make that call in the morning.
Probably Turtle. pray 4 wind.
JRN

Post by JRN »

Cannon or E-side? I can't decide!! Nate, I think I kited right past you the other day, but didn't know it was you in the NINJA snow suit. Those Airush foils looked kool! May-be I can bum a ride on one next time. I made it all the way from Mahto to Tally's that day. Perfect wind heading. Those tire ruts were BRUTAL by Bellaire. Nice to see you out on our ponds! :shock:I don't think I WANT to smell what the Bryce-man's cookin'.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
MK

Post by MK »

Jim, are you going to hitchhike on that nija :lol: I too am up for some test rides.

The forecast on Cannon has been holding steady and true since yesterday. I'm itching to try the Turtle but it will have to wait. Maxmillano's visuals he posted make it look reeeeel good fer kite'n.
hyperontherock

Post by hyperontherock »

sorry for the dumb questions(dont blame me I am from florida), it looks like cannon is about 40 min away? is there a special place on the lake or pretty obvious when you get there???
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Cannon is pretty easy. The distance looks long but most of it is 35 so you can cruise. I can get there in about 40-50 minutes from my neighborhood in SE Mpls.

There is a spot to drive onto the lake on the NE side. Take 60 west off of 35 about a mile to 12, then as soon as you get off 60 stay to your left (12 will veer to the right), go about a 1/4 mile and there is a road onto the ice. If there aren't any kites out keep your eyes peeled for the road to the ice. It drops down pretty quickly so isn't extremely visible. If the road bend back to 60 you've gone too far.

ride on
Tighe
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Jim, Mike, For sure test rides for all. yeah the new Airush foils are awesome! Demos for anyone-anytime! tell ya what, I will even set up, take down, and pump up etc. for anyone on this forum ;-)

Ha! yep that was me Jim. more like a Samurai but ninja will do, yeah these lakes on the east side are not so bad. def miss'n the west side some good winds and terrain out there and of course Swede, gonna have to make a trip out there to ride with MikeF(aka Anti-soc) ha good one Robbie, and set up the kicker and sliders.

Just talked to Jeremy(P R Key) he's going to bring the winch aka La Cranke(no wind weapon) out to Turtle Lake and a Grill so will be a chill day.

should be all set up by 11am.
krazykatie

Post by krazykatie »

turtle turtle
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
JRN

Post by JRN »

:wink: NOW I GET IT! NINJA TURTLE! :lol: (teenager at heart)
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
MK

Post by MK »

Looks like everyone can have a little fun today if they go out for a nooner.

Any delivery options from Turtle to Cannon for grilled Brats?
jbs

Post by jbs »

Where do you access the north end of Turtle? I suppose now you could just drive up the lake from the south end launch ramp? I'll probably head out there this afternoon. It's shaping up to be a great day!
john
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

jbs , I think we are just going to access the lake from the park on the south end as you mentioned and drive out to the north end. yeah its looking like a great day, the suns back! have a fun day everyone.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

heading to turtle in a few minutes!! See ya guys there!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map