Midwest Speed Quest Update October 4th

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Craig Bergh

Midwest Speed Quest Update October 4th

Post by Craig Bergh »

http://www.midwestspeedquest.com
Andrew Anderson v2.jpg
Andrew Anderson v2.jpg (188.59 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Hello Windsurfers,

The high winds finally returned to Worthington Minnesota on Sept 27 and 28; blowing 25 to 35 knots each day. We had a number of sailors participating.

Andrew Anderson flew in from Oakland California, logged a 32.19 knot Best Ten Second Run, and took the lead for the 2009 Midwest Speed Quest on Sunday. Andrew also claimed the $200 Economic Stimulus CASH, by recording the first 30 knot session of the day.

Chris Lock was also on the water, and recorded a new Best 10 Second Run for 2009 of 31.63 knots. Both racers were sailing the KA Koncept Sail, and Vector Fins.

On Monday, Arden Anderson had a blazing session. He turned in a Best 10 Second Run of 33.55 knots, and a Max 2 Second Speed of 35.44 knots. These are the highest speeds ever recorded on Lake Okabena.

David Knight recorded his best run of the year at 32.00 knots. Adam Anderson recorded a 29.63 knot run. Both racers were using the KA Koncept Sail, and Vector Fins.

David Knight won the winner of the 2008 Midwest Speed Quest with a 32.52 knot run; and sails the Carbon Art SL60 Slalom Board.

Sessions were also entered by Delbert Carpenter and Wayne Anderson.

The Midwest Speed Quest closes on October 15th. We look forward to a couple more days of great Speed Sailing. October has brought us winds well over 40 mph. Some of the most intense racing of the year has been in these final days.

We continue to offer a $500 CASH to any racer that records a 35 knot run before October 15th!!! This money is in addition to the $2500 in Cash Prizes awarded each year.

Stay tuned for a Year End Report, and visit our web site for the latest rankings and Wind Forecasts:

http://www.midwestspeedquest.com

Thank you LAKAWA and thank you Tighe for your continuing support of this Event!

Sincerely,

Craig Bergh
The Midwest Speed Quest
133 Lake Avenue
Worthington, MN 56187

Cell 1-507-360-4801
Attachments
Arden Anderson v2.jpg
Arden Anderson v2.jpg (214.69 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
David Knight v2.jpg
David Knight v2.jpg (229.06 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
DavidKnight

Re: Midwest Speed Quest Update October 4th

Post by DavidKnight »

Craig,

Thanks for putting this on year after year. It's amazing that you make yourself available, on-call with a loaner gps ready to go, over this half-year-long event. It was great sailing with the Andersons and Del. Those guys sure have the right attitude towards windsurfing. And talk about fast- wholy smokes, Arden was lighting up over 30 on almost every reach. He and his brothers are going to be tough to beat from here on out.

As for me, I never really got dialed in last Monday. In hindsight, I should have rigged the 6.6 right away- I think I really need the bigger sail to post some real speed. I got a few powered up runs and was just starting to put my full weight against the sail and bear off the wind for some speed when my (your) mast snapped just above my boom under the load. I'd love to see that final speed track- 30 to zero in a snap. At least I was dressed for the drift back in and the water wasn't too cold yet. Thanks for the ride back to the car- and thanks for sacrificing your mast- I owe you big time.

I hope we get another big blow... I'd love to get back down there and post some more speed. Keep an eye on the wind...