70 FACTOR

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JERRY

70 FACTOR

Post by JERRY »

No...........not your age, but the combined air temp. + wind speed in mph.

Someone recently asked about the 70 factor number. My reply was the decision factor of some people of whether to ride in the current conditions or not. I personally subtract 10 if the humidity is high, such as drizzle/rain is present or add 10 if the sun is shining. Another decision factor to to dress for the swim in. Can you survive an hour of drifting in the water after losing gear or breakdown :?: If your in relatively good shape and wearing the right gear....yes. Use common sense when you ride in extreme conditions. Crap happens. Have a nice ride. :)

jerry
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Browbry

Re: 70 FACTOR

Post by Browbry »

70 minus 46 here in MPLS = the current wind speed. Aha. Are you going out today Jerry if yes, where? It doesn't seem windy round here. Just Duluth. Am I wrong? - The Mighty Quinn
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

raining out now, so I'm sitting indoors on my beach chair watching a sunny, warm water H2O riding video 8).

Woof to The Mighty Quinn
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
JRN

Post by JRN »

JERRY, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS. YOUR OLD ONE ISN'T WORKING ANYMORE. THANKS, JIM N
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Browbry

Post by Browbry »

I hope things change for the better soon round here. This is the 3rd day straight we've had the rain.
Last edited by Browbry on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

JRN: I sent you a PM thru MnAdventure.com

The MQ: :shock: don't get me banned. hehe.

j
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Local temp + wind speed is close to my age. :lol: Heading to Washington.
Peter
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think the coastguard uses a similar rule air+water temp=100. If they equal less than 100, then "gumby suites" are required..... the sum might even be higher than 100, not sure..