Newbie Q: SE Winds - Waconia or Washington?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Binx

Newbie Q: SE Winds - Waconia or Washington?

Post by Binx »

Newbie windsurfer wants to know:

How's Lake Washington with SE winds?

How about Waconia?

Which lake is the better choice for SE winds?

Thanks.
Barry P

Re: Newbie Q: SE Winds - Waconia or Washington?

Post by Barry P »

Reddy Creek, Mille Lacs would be a MUCH MUCH better place to work on the basics safely.

It is well worth the drive to get smooth wind, wide open safe beaches, and no boat traffic.

If that's impossible, then go for Washington. Pay the a Rod & Gun fee to use their launch.
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

Waconia is not the best on SE, SSE works but as it clocks more east it gets sketchy. SE is 135 degrees on the wind clock, SSE is roughly 160 degrees. Anything less than 150 degrees is going to get dirty as it starts to blow offshore from the DNR ramp.

That said, since you are talking windsurfing and not kiting, you have a lot of options that are unique to windsurfing. Lake Minnetonka is close to Maple Plain and offers some decent options for SE including Wayzata Beach and the city of Mound Beach I believe. Stay well away and aware of the boats of course. I'm guessing Mound is probably less busy than Wayzata Bay, Wayzata is probably not so good for learning due to many hazards and boats.

If you are looking to watch and talk to highly experienced windsurfers then Calhoun is a great place to hang out and gain wisdom, even if the weeds and wind are unfavorable.

Washington is a very pleasant place to spend the day and you will hopefully have at least some company out there. It works on a SE.

Reddy Creek is worth the drive for kiting for sure, but for windsurfing I would tend to stay closer to home and increase your time on the water. Check out some spots that are easy for you to get to and give it a shot.
Mark F
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

My bad... missed the windsurfer part. :oops:

The worst thing that can happen for you at Waconia on a windsurfer is a lousy day if there's too much east in the wind.

Anyway - listen to Marks' advice.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Actually Reddy Creek isn't the best place to learn kiting with South Winds ( I know this post isn't about kiting). The winds would be onshore. S-SW are much better at Malmo. SE is too offshore and gusty at Malmo.

Even though Reddy has shallows out a ways, if things go wrong you'll be onshore quickly.

If you're a less experienced kiter, It is highly recommended to find a place that offers true sideshore conditions.
Tighe