Sunday fun

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

ice_kmauve

Sunday fun

Post by ice_kmauve »

I arrived at Wildwood about 12:30 or so. found the place empty!! I thought this beach would be crawling with riders.

It was my first solo launch in quite some time, so I took it slow so as not to screw up too badly. Soon, my 7m waroo was in the air. I rode my big board for float in the gusts.

This kite is so tiny it is like flying a pencil. I went from underpowered to overpowered in rapid succession. The kite was pitching around and deforming in the high gusts. I kept ruminating on the horror that would be my fate should a front line break while I was near a dock.

But everything hung together. Still, the wind was so varied that I rarely had a chance to throw a jump. mostly, it felt like survival kiting.

One amusement I had was weaving through the water ski slalom buoys that had been planted in the bay.

After a while I came in, to find Kurt and Avery arriving. Kurt had the audacity to use his 13m Yarga (not recommended for beginners). He looked okay as I was leaving.

Hope everyone had fun today, the wind was huge and amazing.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
Dave Z

Re: Sunday fun

Post by Dave Z »

Dave - I opted to windsurf today. Really good and powered 4.0 and I didn't want to risk riding my 8M kite. I should really get a 6M kite one of these days.

I was riding out of Mahto with a couple of other guys and saw you launch out of Wildwood. The wind was very Westerly today. Sometime it would go a little WNW then shift back straight W. Regardless, you should have come upwind and joined us - it's much cleaner when you get out away from the launch at WW when there's so much West in it. As I was packing up at Mahto I saw Avery scoot by.

Perfect day. More on tap tomorrow and the wind direction looks more conducive to Wildwood. Hope to be there by 1:00pm. Getting three days in a row in June is very rare!

THANKS AGAIN JRN!!!!!!!
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I really wanted to be there with y'all, but I had to hit up the gay parade today in murderapolis. I've finally accepted the fact that I am a true lesbian trapped in a man's body. It's really hard to hit up on a "fellow" babe when she thinks you're an average Joe. I just keep asking myself,........why would anyone really crave a cucumber, unless you're vegetarian. Ain't nuthin like the real thing, baby!

The kiting totally sucked at White Boy Lake today. This place is wayyyyyyyyyyy over rated. Too many docks and too many people out mowing their weeds in the sand.
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

Dave --

so that was you guys up there on the windsurfers eh?

I wanted to respond to your comment about going north up the coast a bit to catch the long westerly fetch.

I have considered this plan many times and often recommended it to others. What stopped me was that as I went north the coast tends to jut out west, so that while I was a nice comfy distance from the docks, I all of a sudden was right on top of them as I headed north. Given the gustiness of the day, the instability of that 7m waroo, I guess I was just too edgy to head north.. but agree with it in principle.

glad you got a day in on the 'surfer. I saw one guy who looked like he caught air on the windsurfer.. wow, windy day I guess.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
johntr

Post by johntr »

Yes, it was a great day for windsurfing down at Maht. That long fetch all the way across the lake was lovely. (Launching was a pain, though: had to swim away from the pier :(.)

I, too, saw a windsurfer catch air -- at least a couple of times. I saw one guy -- I think Dave Z -- who forgot he was on a windsurfer, and was catching kite-like air. I, with my more limited skillz, was trying hard to stay on the water on my 135 liter board, which was enough of a challenge to keep me happy and in the flow :).

John