freekskate? free skate? switchblade?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tom_latcham

freekskate? free skate? switchblade?

Post by tom_latcham »

Good Morning fellow kiters:
I made myself a home made ice board out of a kids snowboard and a switch blade. Tried to ride it yesterday and it was very humbling. Thank goodness for hockey pants. Tried 1/8 inch blade projection and did not seem to be hooking up very well. Went to 3/8 and could hook but still fell every 10 feet. May be my lack of snow board experiance. May be the lake is still a bit rough. Anyone else try riding the current conditions? What seems to work best? What are freak skates. Are they like free skates mounted on a board so ski boots can be used? Perhaps I should go to a ski resort and take a snow board lesson before I try it again. Guess I did not ride my water boards right away either. May just have to pay my dues. Any tips would be helpful.
PS Happy birthday Jerry:
Thanks for all the tips when I was tea bagging last spring. Thanks to you my nick name is no longer Lipton.
TL
JRN

Re: freekskate? free skate? switchblade?

Post by JRN »

IT IS REALLY CALLED A FREESKATE: Basically a giant skateboard with blades instead of wheels. It is powered by a windsurfing sail rig, & more fun than almost anything. Ask the "Legend" to show you his, but make sure you specify his freeskate, & not anything else! Unlike Jerry, I suck at snowboarding & still have not achieved switchblade competence. Maybe we can convince Todd to give a clinic while the snow has left. How about it, Kiteboy?
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
WildBill

Re: freekskate? free skate? switchblade?

Post by WildBill »

I made a switchblade out of an ice skate blade and mounted it to an old snowboard. It worked but not as well as skiis on ice did. Also the snowboard started to delaminate from all the pressure(at the bolt holes).

I can attest that Jim looks like he's having fun on that freeskate. I wish I had one. I got this old arrow shaped gizmo with two sets of small skiis. One set has sharp blades in the middle. It's not as easy as the freeskate. If someone wanted to take it off my hands let me know.

Damm ice fisherman have been driving all over when the ice was half frozen and it's all chunked up :(((((((
ENJOY :) ........... Bill