mahtomedi friday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

drknap

mahtomedi friday

Post by drknap »

tons of fun. A shot clip. Mike going huge as always. Some car jumping too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdOlOHCLPg
Kurt
JRN

Re: mahtomedi friday

Post by JRN »

SORRY I GOT THERE LATE & missed the show. Truly amazing stuff. I was happy just to be able to launch my kite solo!
Earlier this week, I had a near mishap when an Escalade was parked STRAIGHT DOWNWIND from my ice anchor. Sorry I almost brushed against your vehicle, but this particular style of kite must be landed by releasing the bar and descending on the safety line. I didn't realize how close you were parked & didn't mean to cut the margins that way. For future reference, PLEASE PARK AT LEAST 50 YARDS OR MORE AWAY! Please do not park directly down wind from where kites are being launched and landed. I'm not trying to be rude, but want to prevent any unintended cosequences.
Thanks!
Last edited by JRN on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

Just as impressive on film as it was in real time! I don't know how you guys hold down such big kites in those gusts. After farting around with my 10M TD I finally switched to my 7m Bularoo and had all the power I needed.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Great boosting you guys! What size kites were you using? We were on 7's & 9's at the Island, but it seemed a bit gustier/twitchier on Tonka than that video. The snow was whipping up in a dust storm, out in the bay. Our fetch ws not that optimal either on a NNW.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Mike W. was on his 14M Elipse :shock: so I thought I'll rig my 12 -wrong :? . I went back and switched to my 9.

Yes... how do the kite gods survive having so much yardage up there?
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Jeez....I think it was gusting up to 30 on Tonka. (just checked....Flying Cloud had gusts @ 28, 29 @ at Holman) Yep....I guess that is certifiably insane. I wonder if Progressive covers this one ...."yea somebody used my roof rack as a rail....." :lol:
Geo

Post by Geo »

Sweet!
notice that they were jumping over their OWN cars...

I got there and rigged a 14M, too. It was good for about 1/2 hr, then kicked in to gusty 30+. Wow. It was all I could do to make it back up wind. Just hang on the bar and get flung 10' in the air. Pretty hard to dump speed by jumping when you are out of room and the trees are laughing at you.
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Some big gusts out there yesterday for sure. That was a lot of fun! Jumping cars is not something I would generally endorse, but when the adrenaline is flowing common sense often gets pushed aside. Geoff Warner gets the cajones award for the day for fearlessly rigging his 14T2 in the face of some white-out gusts.

Thanks for posting the video, Kurt! Thanks for shooting the footage, Terry!
RandyL

Post by RandyL »

kurt maybe a rail on the van would be a good idea?
Attachments
kurt.JPG
kurt.JPG (108.67 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
kurt (2).JPG
kurt (2).JPG (112.5 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Hunters Scamp, had a rail built on to it .... that was a good one.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

sweet video
Tighe