How are the Jellyfish in Padre?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johnz

How are the Jellyfish in Padre?

Post by johnz »

Hi,

Can anybody who's down there respond to this post and let me know if there are dead Jellyfish all over the beach (and lots of live ones in the water) like last year?

I'm bringing the kids with and need to do a little spin control if this is still the case.

Thanks!
- John Z
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
JAE

Re: How are the Jellyfish in Padre?

Post by JAE »

Just got back from 4 days at SPI. I only saw one dead jellyfish on the beach at the north flats. Didn't see any in the water, but I was pretty busy when I was out there.

jeff
johnz

Post by johnz »

Woo Hoo!

Thanks, Jeff.

Man, am I stoked to get down there!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
John Z
johnz

Post by johnz »

Woo Hoo!

Thanks, Jeff.

Man, am I stoked to get down there!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
John Z
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

John.....
Tell your kids to collect alll the jelly filsh they can as they make a nice lunch when combined with the peanutbutter fish. Hope this helps!

jim
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

My wife said that Monday morning she saw a bunch of something that may have been jellyfish washed up. They were different than what we saw last year. It sounds like they were the size of a smaller pies and flat cylindrical like and clearer looking I think. Not a big blob like other jellyfish we've seen and not those aqua/blue things we saw washed up all over last year.

I kited the gulf side all 5 days and the only sea life I saw was the dolphins that liked playing on the same waves down by the jetties on two days.

Enjoy!
Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
Reds

Post by Reds »

saw no jellifish in four days this past weekend. kited the flats.
Patrick
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

We were down in Padre 11-2 --> 11-12 and the first few days there were a lot of moon jellies washed up on the Gulf side. Later in the week they weren't there. I didn't see any on the flats.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm trying to remember the names, the translucent small round jelly fish is a cabbage something or other. The one with the blue /purple sack on it's back is the man'o'war...do not mess with that one. Nasty sting which some people have that death causing allergy to. If you're not allergic it just stings like hell.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Judd or Dianne

Post by Judd or Dianne »

Judd and friends where on the gulf last few day and there where jellie fish but no man-of-war I stayed mostly up by jetties and didn't see any. I seen a few jellies in the bay. Judd said they sting some. They where not cabage head but clear with pink centers. Sunscreen and meat tenderizer will help sting.

Dianne