Sad, sad news

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Jim N

Sad, sad news

Post by Jim N »

I'm sorry to have the dreadful task of reporting the awful news that we've lost our friend Jack Mertz today. The Coast Guard located his body in the ship channel off Padre Island this evening. He had been seen sailing towards "the flats" earlier today for "one more session" before returning home. Our prayers and sympathy go out to his loved ones, especially his son, Steve, who was along on the trip. :cry: Jim N. P.S. Maybe we could all share some of our favorite memories of Jack as he's been a fixture of the wind-surfing and skiiing scene for what seemed like forever.
Last edited by Jim N on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

wow, how to discribe the emotion. It's like I lost a brother... a friend and someone that just glowed with acceptance and compassion, a brother in the wind.

Jack ended a lot of sentences with "huh?" Like "it's windy, huh?" it was very engaging. He actually cared what you thought.

Sharing moments with Jack was like gliding along, real easy. He had the same challenges that get put in front of all of us, but he never let it slow him down or change his groove. He was always believing in the good. I really admired him.

to leave us while on the water...maybe he'll always be there, on the water and in the wind.

I will smile when I think of you Jack.

Tighe
Coach

Post by Coach »

I'll always remember driving down the street in Worthington a few years ago and passing a cop car that had pulled over a guy on a motorcycle.

As I drove by, I noticed it was Jack next to the bike!

I pulled over to see what was going on and if I could help a brother in need... It turns out Jack was riding without eye protection - at night no less! I loaned him some shades that luckily had yellow lenses in (so he could thankfully still see at night) and I believe the cop let him off.

Leave it to Jack to always be doing something slightly risky - and having fun at it...

I'm sure in no way did Jack want to die this way, but he also probably wouldn't have it any other way. Out on the beautiful ocean, sailing and being one with the water and nature.
steveb

Jack

Post by steveb »

I could tell stories about my good experiences with Jack for days. I can't think of a bad experience with the man.
As you know Jack always was extremely social and always interested in people .The right hand extended for a shake with a welcome grin and the phrase " Jack Mertz here " is something I shall always remember.
On the night of my bachelor party we did a pub crawl through downtown minneapolis, I cannot remember how many bars we went into. At every bar
we went into it was not 2 minutes before Jack was surrounded by beautiful women and they were laughing and enthralled with the magic of Jack.
He loved people and they loved him.
I'll miss him and trips to padre or skiing in the UP will never be quite the same.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I did not know Jack well but had a number of memorable moments with him. He had such charisma, such pure stoke. I will never forget a long, joyous conversation we had about life, liberty and the pursuit of motocross while hanging out on the banks of the Columbia after a session at the Hatch. He was who knows how old at the time and still riding dirt bikes--hard. I was energized then by his spirit and still am. He and his loved ones will be in our prayers this Thanksgiving.
pat taylor

Post by pat taylor »

I was at the South Padre a couple of years ago, staying in the county park. Jack pulled in late one night, and I went to greet him. The first thing he said to me was," have you meet any babes on the beach." He did not ask about the wind or weather or who was at South Padre from Minnesota. Leave it to Jack to always say something that will leave a lasting impression. I will miss Jack. He was truley one of a kind. Pat.
Randy

Jack the Master

Post by Randy »

Jack truly was one of the life Masters. He didn't talk the talk. He didn't even walk the talk, he just walked the walk with courage, love, compassion, gratitude and a zest for life we all aspire to.
It was an honor and a priviledge to spend the winter with Jack last year in Maui, his aloha spirit infectious. Actually, I think he started the 'Minnesota Nice' campaign several decades ago.
Throughout the '80's and '90's I traveled to just about every sailing site you could think of and consistently, when they learned I was from Minnesota, they'd say, "Hey, do you know a guy named Jack Mertz?"
I later found myself in introduction to strangers saying, "Hi, I'm Randy, I'm from Minnesota, and I think we probably share a common friend by the name of Jack Mertz". I met a lot of nice people this way and I think Jack must have been manifest in several bodies because no one person could know so many people.
I could easily write a book on the man, but will now ask for your help in assembling a DVD tribute. Can you review you photos for pictures of him, any audio clips you may have or video of Jack wisdom? I'll be sure to take care of these and get them back to you. My mailing address is:
Randy Johnson, 9597 North Shore Trail, Forest Lake, MN 55025. I'm officing in White Bear Lake if you prefer to drop it off. My cell is 612-590-0970. I'll be in my office Saturday from 11:30-5, 5051 Stewart Ave., if you can drop anything off, since I'll be working on it over the weekend.

We suspect the wake will be next week at Kessler and Maguire Funeral Home in St. Paul and will keep you posted when a date is set. Obviously, a man of this stature deserves a celebratory tribute and we'll be talking with the family about a possible event a few weeks later where we can better capture the Jack 'ride spirit'.

From the time I woke this morning he's been downloading all kinds of insights from our times together. Funny how the magnitude of a man's greatness is often missed when it's right in front of us.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
t

The spirit of Jack Mertz Lives on forever within us!

Post by t »

Thanks be to God that Judd, Diane, Pete, John, Steve, Carol, Steve and I had the wonderful pleasure of spending a wonderful dinner with Jack the night before his passing yesterday afternoon. Let's pray for the Mertz family and this most difficult Thanksgiving. It's always so hard to let go of the ones we love. The reality is however, that they are always with us and part of our own spirit. All that we need to do is will-forth the memories and positive feelings these amazing people have brought to us before... They are with us again and forever...
Jack was one of the most thoughtful, kind, stable, considerate, passionate people I have ever had the luck to have met. He was like a 2nd father to me and inspires me to be a better dirt biker, windsurfer, skier---if I'm ever lucky enough father---but most importantly a better human being all the way around. I've got a long, long way to go...Jack knew how to truly be happy in the moment and enjoy life. He had such an incredible talent to be remain-stoked no matter what he was doing-and he shared it freely with all those around him. Jack is proof to me that the good guys can still win! He was what so many of us needed in our lives. He inspired then and he inspires now!He lived by the credo: "a friend in need is a friend indeed"! He introduced me to dirt biking. He loaned me a car. He gave me wise advice and support when I needed it most. He helped me setup my gym when I began a year ago. He was a true professional and craftsman. He could fix just about anything and never got mad or frustrated on the job.
He left us too soon but he left on his terms. His youngest son, Steve, said that he looked at-peace when he was found. He did not suffer. He left this place with his shades on during a warm, windy and beautiful day.
Yesterday afternoon at the coast guard station group of us held hands while Steve Mertz said the most profound prayer for Jack, his family and friends. Steve, you have learned so much from your father. I am so lucky and proud to call you my friend! Through Jack Mertz we all share a bond of brotherhood and stoke for living which shall remain with us forever...
steveb

Post by steveb »

:cry: Wow. Jack Mertz. What an icon. Like Steve said, within minutes he new everybody in the room, starting with the ladies! So many people have met him and spent time with him...what a thrill for us all. I'd like to share a couple things about Jack. Steve B. only saw him outside of his calm cool demeanor once, and that was frustration with the Minnesota wind just after a long trip to Baja/Padre! Caravaning home from Padre in separate vehicles a few years back, Steve and I blew some bearings on our trailer and were stuck overnight in Kingsville (yea, we'd barely gotten started for home). Without giving it a thought, Jack considered it his problem, too. He spent the night there with us, and fixed it for us in the morning after the auto parts store opened. I think most of us would have said "Yea, good luck with that, see ya back home!" Not Jack. Rather than going on for pages, I'll leave you with one last Jack story. About 10 years ago, Jack, Steve and some other guys were chatting with me about windsurfing and how much it meant to them. Steve asked the guys "What would you rather give up, sex or windsurfing?" Jack said "Sex!" in a heartbeat because he could NEVER give up windsurfing!!!
:wink: Sail on, Jack.
Nancy
Hank

Post by Hank »

If he only returned phone calls within the last couple of years. :? I knew him long before windsurfing was around. :lol: