I almost forgot

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dave Schneider

I almost forgot

Post by Dave Schneider »

I have had a very busy last three-fourths of a year. Starting on September 1 of last year, work has been very hectic, and of course, lots of kids' sports, etc. So, I have not sailed since before Sept. 1. Well, actually I had a session in Jamestown, ND the day before Memorial Day - it was 55 and raining and less than ideal conditions all around. But, yesterday at Da Bear, I remembered all over again why I have thousands of dollars worth of gear hanging in my garage.

Conditions, although gusty, were supreme from 4:00 pm to 5:30. When I arrived, the local consensus was to rig in the 4.5 to 5.0 range. Given the limited amount of time that I generally have to sail, I never risk being underpowered, so I chose my 5.9 Loft Lip (wave) sail and hit the water with my 102 ltr. Mistral Screamer. (Right now Tighe is silently shedding a tear, thinking back to the old days.) Anyhoo, the first three attempts to beach start found the sail being violently ripped from my hands, and I thought, "hmmm, maybe I should have listened to the 40 or 50 collective years' worth of knowledge sitting back on the beach." But alas, I couldn't stomach the thought of re-rigging so quickly, so I perservered. Turns out, I only forgot how to water/beach start in overpowering conditions.

Soon, I was ripping across WBL at break-neck speed. Ok, that was me hooting and hollering out there. :lol: I admit it. I feel no shame. I was clearly overpowered at times, and scholgging at others, but mostly was just about right. I was really happy that I didn't rig any smaller, or I would have been schlogging during the frequent, but short-lived holes. I did have to come off the water after about 15 minutes or so - for my helmet. :wink: If ever there were a day for a helmet, yesterday was it. Lots of sailors wearing helmets yesterday. As for me, I did take one in the noggin and was sure glad I had the helmet on.

90 minutes after hitting the water, I dragged my sorry heiney back to the beach and broke down my gear. Moments later, the wind died. :roll: I felt really bad for the guys and gals that were just rigging - been there myself a few (hundred) times. Sure glad I took a couple of hours off work yesterday. I can't tell you how much I needed that session. It was the perfect session to get me stoked for my first Gorge trip coming at the end of July. :P
Dave Schneider
TJ

Post by TJ »

When Matt gave me the sheet of paper where it was written that you can die or result seriously injured, i got a little bit scare; but feel the winds in my hands and also heard stories like this make me think that everything in live has a considerable risk and is worthy take the risk when your hearth feels that happines or whatever you call that feeling......... i can not wait to ride the wind by myself!!! i just want to feel....

TJ
Enjoying life and Windancing.
johntr

Post by johntr »

I sailed 5.0 from 4:30 until 5:30 ... and then came back to the beach to rerig when the wind died. Feel no sorrow for me, though: I had a great time on my 7.4 and wide board ripping along in the frequent gusts from 6:00 until 8:00. Best session of the year for me. Screaming fast runs, but in perfect balance, sun on the water, spray on my face ... it just doesn't get better than that.

John