Time for a "Cool" story From Lake Pepin....

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Time for a "Cool" story From Lake Pepin....

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

A few winters ago, (Circa: 2008), I went searching for Pete G.'s Kite that he lost when he had to let go of it with the harness bar due
to super overpowerd winds during a Blizzard! Yeah, this was "Snowkiting" that he was doing. He got back allright wallking over to the town of
Pepin, Wisconsin. He later put out an alert that if anyone happens to find it, to let him know. He said, it might be downstream somewhere on shore in the woods stuck in trees or maybe it eventually (would sink and join his 4 meter windsurf sail that went down during a fall Gale) when the ice melts.
Kind of interesting, this same area of lake Pepin (about half a mile out from shore from the town of Pepin WS is where a WW2 US Fighter bomber
(A B-something) Liberator crashed on the ice and went down as well in 1944 or 1945 with the loss of the two pilots. (That's why there's a HUGE US flag
on a mast at the end of the breakwater at Pepin, WS.
Anyway, I went cross-country skiing just after sunset to go look for Pete's kite, I got to the bottom of Lake Pepin, already dark out, and near the edge
of where the lake becomes flowing river, and realized I really couldn't see the water nor find his kite.
Three weeks later (in March) on my last iceboating outing of the year I spotted what looked like a red duffle bag (in the distance). I thought,
Who would just leave gear out hear in the middle of the lake, I sailed over closer and to my surprise it was not a red duffle bag, but a kiteboarding kite with the four long strings frozen in ice and the kiteboarding haness bar with the one harness strap also stuck in the ice.
I carefully chillezed it out and put it in my iceboat, got to shore and delivered it to Pete's house.

He said thanks, and asked if I could also find his windsurfing 4 meter sail that he lost in the same area, years earlier. I said, "well, I need to train some
helper dolphins, for that!

Maybe this particular area where the US fighter bomber crashed through the ice and Pete lost a windsurf sail and a kite has some mysterious energy
going on like the "Burmuda Triangle." Maybe call it the Pepin Triangle?

Anyway a few months later Peter sold that kite.
Quetzalcoatl out.
Pete

Re: Time for a "Cool" story From Lake Pepin....

Post by Pete »

Thanks again for searching for and finding that kite!!!