Open water report update please

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chummers

Open water report update please

Post by Chummers »

Any open water in the metro area to sail on tomorrow in the 69 degree temps and 15-25mph winds?
Quetzalcoatl

Re: Open water report update please

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

You might try launching from the Hudson, WI City marina park area.

That part of the St. Croix river (and just downstream) form the I-94 bridge is often

the first "Open Water" place in the Metro area. Be sure to use a weed fin "to cut through or fly over debris"
in the water!

Eric (Quetzalcoatl) out.
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

Went downtown Hudson yesterday the Marina parking lot is completely flooded I’m sure the leftover rice is blowing into that shoreline today
Chummers

Post by Chummers »

Thank you Hutch for the update! You probably saved somebody from a wasted trip.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Hah! Hutch said,,,"The leftover ice" is blowing into shore"..leftover? that implies much of ice is gone?..that means....the lake/river has cracked open! And it won't be very long before the wind will blow it the other way or downstream. Or this might mean that if Ice is on Wisconsin side...there could be a good swath of open water on the Minnesota side.

Side note: The Superstar windsurfers (like Flying Jay Corbett) and Hutch often start the season on the St. Croix, either from Hudson,,or the opposite side (Minnesota) at the ramp (called Beanie's Boat Launch/St. Croix landing). I, Quetzalcoatl am not worthy yet. Or downsteam at Mary's Park on Minnesota side, (even wider water).

It is so close to the Twin Cities just 19 minutes on the FREEway (I-94) it's worth it to explore some of the sites,,,if you're really Jonesing for a session. (how can ya call a 40 minute roundtrip a wasted trip even if you just end up scoping out possible windsurfing sites?)

"Come on, Man of Madrid." Check out the The St. Croix and find a spot..."you'll be glad you did." (from the guy who sold you pretty cheap that wonderful Loft 9.6 sail that is often YOU sailing it in the newspaper photos).

Eric (Quetzalcoatl) out.